HonoluluGirl

Cucumber vine itch

Hi,

Everytime I brush against my cucumber vines, my arms start to itch. I do wash with soap and water, but they still itch for days. And sometimes the itch spreads to other parts of my body that I touch, even after I washed my hands. I don't see a rash - my skin doesn't get red or bumpy but still itches. Ok, ok, I'll wear long sleeves and gloves from now on... Maybe... If I remember... but it's so hot, so maybe not, ha ha.

Once I get the itch, how do I get rid of it fast?

Thanks!

ExcitableGardener

HonoluluGirl wrote:Hi,

Everytime I brush against my cucumber vines, my arms start to itch. I do wash with soap and water, but they still itch for days. And sometimes the itch spreads to other parts of my body that I touch, even after I washed my hands. I don't see a rash - my skin doesn't get red or bumpy but still itches. Ok, ok, I'll wear long sleeves and gloves from now on... Maybe... If I remember... but it's so hot, so maybe not, ha ha.

Once I get the itch, how do I get rid of it fast?

Thanks!
I've never gotten an itch from cucumbers, but I know when mosquitoes get me I just rub aloe on them so maybe that will help. Do you have some sort of strange cucumber allergy or are you just brushing up against the little spikes?

HonoluluGirl

Yeah, it's the spikes that's making me itch. Next time, I'll build a better, longer trellis. My cucumber vines are large and bushy, and I have to reach waaaay inside to pick the cucumbers. My trellis was too small, and I had to improvise by putting stakes in the ground all around the trellis and running strings between them. The result is a huge bush radiating out from the trellis in all directions. I had no idea the cucumber plant would get so big. This is my first year gardening.

ExcitableGardener

Ah, yeah I think your best bet is just to wear gloves then. I feel like no matter how long I grow my trellises I end up scraping up against their spiky little vines, but I've kind of grown accustomed to it.

They are fun to grow though aren't they? :D

HonoluluGirl

Thanks, ExcitableGardener. Yes, they're fun to grow. Just not fun to pickle, ha ha. I can't keep up!

gumbo2176
Super Green Thumb

I use to have that issue with picking okra and figs from my garden. I guess I've picked so much of both over the years that it no longer bothers me.

That kind of reminds me of a job I had many years ago installing air conditioning ductwork in residential and commercial businesses. There is a lot of fiberglass insulation involved in the process and when I first started doing that work I'd itch for days, especially in the summer. I either got use to is or just learned to ignore it after a while.

gumbo2176
Super Green Thumb

I use to have that issue with picking okra and figs from my garden. I guess I've picked so much of both over the years that it no longer bothers me.

That kind of reminds me of a job I had many years ago installing air conditioning ductwork in residential and commercial businesses. There is a lot of fiberglass insulation involved in the process and when I first started doing that work I'd itch for days, especially in the summer. I either got use to is or just learned to ignore it after a while.

greenstubbs

I get the same thing but only lasts a hour or 2. I get the same drill from squashes as well. I hate it when that happens!

Ohio Tiller
Green Thumb

Take a Benadryl you're a bit allergic to them Okra gets me all the time. The wife got me a Benadryl in a tube and I just rub some on and it goes away.

ExcitableGardener

HonoluluGirl wrote:Thanks, ExcitableGardener. Yes, they're fun to grow. Just not fun to pickle, ha ha. I can't keep up!
Haha, I know what you mean. I thought about throwing some in the juicer the other day just to see what it would taste like.

Return to “Vegetable Gardening Forum”