manny

Super big cucumber!

I have been trying not to post pics of the stuff from my garden as its not a not at one time but I got some really big cucumbers that have been hiding from me and just had to show them off! My wife said they are not good when they get that big, is that true?
[img]https://i47.photobucket.com/albums/f152/humanabyss2/100_2387.jpg[/img]
In the pic I have cucumbers (biggest was 13 inches), a bell pepper, tomatillos(hiding at the bottom), and tomatoes from volunteers. The only variety I recognize for sure is the yellow pear heirloom, I don't recall what the big one was but I had it too. The two red ones that look smaller must be from a hybrid from last year but the plant looks great and the tomatoes look pretty and taste almost as sweet as a cherry.

applestar
Mod

The skin and seeds get tough when cukes get too big, and the flesh gets sort of watery and bland, but they are good peeled and seeds scooped out, then cooked into pasta sauce, stir fried or in soups.

Looks like a great harvest! :D

Francis Barnswallow
Green Thumb

Manny, how long was that red pepper on the pepper plant? Just curious because my peppers are still green and they've been on the plant for months now.

jal_ut
Super Green Thumb

I actually like cukes that have grown to full size and ripened to yellow. Yes, peel and scoop out the seeds, but the flavor is different. Sweeter. Try it.

manny

It was there for like 3 weeks but I think this plant is one of the burpee "sweet red delicious hybrid" variety. The california wonders don't ever really turn red for me. I tried the huge cucumber with some lemon, salt, hot sauce and the sweetness was delicious. I will see if I can make some spagetti sauce from scratch with another cucumber

Return to “Vegetable Gardening Forum”