dtlove129

spaghetti squash

I highly recommend you grow them next year. Just harvested mine last week. 5 plants and probably 15 or so fruit in poor conditions in my area this year butt the reason I recommend is I had my first one tonight. Combined it with onion, mater, basil and olive oil topped with parmesan cheese and it was a huge plate and great. Say 400 calories for what would have been1 grand with pasta. I will probably do twice as many next year if mine store well.

barrelslime

how you gonna store them?

dtlove129

It says to store them at around 65 degrees. So hopefully our house iscool enough.

!potatoes!
Greener Thumb

not the longest-storing of the winter squash by any means. definitely keep eating them regularly, or they may start going and you'd have to try to eat almost all at once.

rainbowgardener
Super Green Thumb

Can you freeze it (after pulling all the "spaghetti"out and perhaps after cooking it briefly)?:

dtlove129

I don't know rainbow..maybe someone will come in.

mmmfloorpie

We just had our first spaghetti squash for dinner tonight.

It was awesome. A little bit of oil, some parm cheese and garlic and parsley... mmm

This year I left them on the vine until they were golden yellow (almost orange). So much better than last year when I think we picked them too early. They tasted a bit starchy.

So am I to understand that all the squashes ripen at once and then that's it for the plant?

jal_ut
Super Green Thumb

I grow them, and find they move very well at market. People like them. They do not all ripen at once on my plants. In fact, the harvest seems spread out pretty good. Personally I prefer a Hubbard, Acorn or Butternut for eating.

Freezing squash tends to turn it into mush. I guess for a winter squash that is pretty creamy anyway once cooked it would work. I think it will ruin the "spaghetti" of the spaghetti squash.

PunkRotten
Greener Thumb

Maybe I don't know what the heck I am doing but I just sowed seeds for this squash about 2 weeks ago.

rainbowgardener
Super Green Thumb

Check your seed packet for days to maturity, but I'm thinking it might be 90 or more. 90 days puts it in to Nov. I know you are in SoCal and don't have to worry about freezing, but even so days are pretty short by then and nights are pretty cool. Might work for you, but no guarantees....

Return to “Vegetable Gardening Forum”