littlekrb

Pumpkins

My extension website says to plant pumpkins in mid June but my husband begged me to buy seeds last weekend. I bought a small variety with a 90 day maturation period. Can I still plant them? I'm betting on a late fall this year considering the above average temperatures this year. Also, how hardy are they? I mean if there is a light frost will they immediately die off or are they more resilient than that?

applestar
Mod

When do you expect first frost?

jal_ut
Super Green Thumb

Welcome to the forum.

Hmmmm, way too late for pumpkins except for maybe the extreme South.

Many varieties take 120 days. Pumpkins will not abide any frost!

We could advise you better if we knew where you were. Most of us put that data in our signature.

I am on the line between zone 4 and 5. Here I plant pumpkins May 5 or as soon thereafter as the conditions are right. Even then I will have some green pumpkins when if freezes about September 15.

rainbowgardener
Super Green Thumb

90 days is usually counting from putting transplants in the garden. So from planting seeds you need to add a couple extra weeks for sprouting and getting started. So 3.5 months. That makes it to mid November. If you are somewhere in the deep South where you don't get frost until mid-Nov., then you may make it. Otherwise you will not have ripe pumpkins in time, but maybe it is just fun to grow the plants anyway...

Return to “Vegetable Gardening Forum”