cubs204

watermelon question *Edit Pics added

I picked a 17 lb. Sugar baby today. They've done well. When I cut it it had beautiful color but had 3 fairly good size cavities where the flesh was a little dry and spongy. Over ripe? It also smelled almost fermented. I didn't eat any. Since I think that one is over riped I picked the one that set after. It weighed 24 lbs. I'm having a hard time believing these were true sugar babies. Am I correct in my assessment? Thanks!

Added some pics of the 24 lb. melon. It was very tasty.

[img]https://i124.photobucket.com/albums/p16/cubs204/IMAG0093.jpg[/img]
[img]https://i124.photobucket.com/albums/p16/cubs204/IMAG0094.jpg[/img]
Last edited by cubs204 on Fri Aug 03, 2012 6:14 am, edited 1 time in total.

jal_ut
Super Green Thumb

You are right, doesn't sound like Sugar Baby. Where did you get the seed?
I tried Sugar Baby and was not pleased. Didn't get any melons that large either.

Next year try Crimson Sweet. It is open pollinated and you can save your seed for next year.

I will also send you some Charleston Gray watermelon seeds for a SASE. I have good luck with them. It is the only melon that has proven reliable in my garden. Also open pollinated. PM me if interested.

P.S. that is one of my Charleston Gray melons on my avatar.

cubs204

Thanks jal, I might take you up on that. The seeds were from burpee and all but one threw out 20 ft vines and 15 plus lb melons. One came up bushy with 3-4 foot vines and probably a 5 lb melon. I wonder which variety it is, because it sure is tasty.

jal_ut
Super Green Thumb

That one compact vine with a 6 lb. fruit sounds like Sugar Baby Watermelon.

I would write the seed company and tell them they sent you the wrong seed. They may replace it.

I have only grown one variety since I started saving my own seed and it comes true to form. I select the seed from the earliest and largest melons each year. I have to wonder if the strain has become acclimated better to my climate after 20 years of doing that. Ya, its been a little over 20 years. My how time flies.

MaryDel

I'll second Crimson Sweet. It's the main melon I grow. I've never found one better.

I just finished my first one of the year. It was probably the best watermelon I have ever grown. I like to regulate how much water my melons get so I always grow them on black plastic.

This year has been bone dry, so the only real water it's gotten has been through irrigation. I did not water during the last week of ripening and the melon was incredible.

jal_ut
Super Green Thumb

Watermelons do have an incredible root system. They grow them dry farm in Southern Utah. I couldn't believe it when I heard that. Southern Utah is too dry for anything to grow except a few hardy desert plants.

The way my irrigation system is set up, my garden gets watered once a week and it is sprinkler irrigation. It gets about 1.5 -2 inches of water each week. It all gets the same treatment. My melons do OK. So, go figure.

I have a couple melons now that are nearly football size. Hope a few more will set on. I only have 5 to 6 weeks of growing weather left.

ExcitableGardener

Mine seem extra big this year as well and I also bought Burpee sugar babies. I thought it was just because I did a better job composting my bed this year.

In fact, I picked one last week I thought had to be ripe because of its big size and when I opened it up it was only just starting to get pink so I was pretty disappointed.

jal_ut
Super Green Thumb

Yep! The watermelon guessing game. Hard to tell when a melon is ripe.

Some use the "Thump" test. Here is how it goes. Slap your stomach with the flat of your hand, then your chest, then your head. Remember how each sounds. Now slap the melon and see how it sounds. Like your head, not ready. Like your stomach, too ripe. Like your chest, just right. FWIW

Look where the stem of the melon connects to the vine. There will be a tendril at the node. If that tendril is all dried up and brown the melon is ripe. If it is still green don't pick.

ExcitableGardener

jal_ut wrote:Yep! The watermelon guessing game. Hard to tell when a melon is ripe.

Some use the "Thump" test. Here is how it goes. Slap your stomach with the flat of your hand, then your chest, then your head. Remember how each sounds. Now slap the melon and see how it sounds. Like your head, not ready. Like your stomach, too ripe. Like your chest, just right. FWIW

Look where the stem of the melon connects to the vine. There will be a tendril at the node. If that tendril is all dried up and brown the melon is ripe. If it is still green don't pick.
Haha, I think I like the "vine method" over the "slap myself silly" method.

sheeshshe
Greener Thumb

I love this thread!!!!!

I think next year I'll also try the crimson sweet :)

Really awesome thread btw :)

jal_ut
Super Green Thumb

Charleston Gray Melon....... from a past garden. Not this year, alas.

[img]https://donce.lofthouse.com/jamaica/melon_cut.jpg[/img]

cubs204

so far I have pulled in 4 melons weighing 13 lbs, 17 lbs, 20 lbs and 24 lbs. We have been eating watermelon constantly with 2 more 20+ out there almost ready to come in. I also had a couple more set last week and I hope I have enough time for them to ripen. That pic looks very good jal!!

Return to “Vegetable Gardening Forum”