estorms

Do hickory nut trees poison the ground?

I have heard Hickory nut trees poison the ground for anything but Hickory nuts. Is this true or an old wives tale? This is my second summer gardening in this spot. My beans only came up here and there. The sugar snap peas came up, but lots didn't germinate. Onions, green peppers, and beets are doing well. I have healthy looking collards, but I have never planted them before so I don't know what they are supposed to look like. The tomatoes got an early blight. I pulled them out, cleaned up carefully, and planted more. They got it too. The Romas went first, then the others. All the vine crops are barely growing at all. Some withered and died without blooming. I have had two cucumbers, where I should have bushels. The same with all the squashes. Pole beeans seem to be doing well. I planted them about the middle of June when it was apparent I wasn't getting any from the first batch. I have two trees I can cut down to get more sun, but I am wondering about the Hickory nut tree. It is over 100 years old and beautiful. Cutting it down is not an option. I can cut the branch that hangs over my garden. I don't want to cut any trees until I know there are no other options. I cannot grow more trees that size in my lifetime. I do not have another place for a garden. I have had the soil tested and added all the recommended fertilizer, lime, and organic matter. Any ideas?

jal_ut
Super Green Thumb

Some plants exhibit what is called allelopathy. I believe it to be substances they emit that actually retard the growth of other species. Yes, Hickory and Walnut are among those plants know to be allelopathic.

[url=https://pubs.ext.vt.edu/430/430-021/430-021.html]Look Here[/url]

jal_ut
Super Green Thumb

[url=https://www.forestry.uga.edu/outreach/pubs/pdf/forestry/Walnut%20Allelopathy%2011-10.pdf]Another link[/url]

[url=https://www.hawksnursery.com/root_hawks_2009/info/UW_%20Juglone%20Tolerant%20Plants.pdf]This one too[/url]
Last edited by jal_ut on Thu Aug 02, 2012 4:21 am, edited 1 time in total.

estorms

Could it be that I am expecting too much too soon? How long does it take to bring poor soil up to snuff?

applestar
Mod

If the branches are hanging over your garden, the roots are all underneath and beyond. The branches most likey limit the sunlight and the roots do suck at all the nutrients and water. You may need to think outside the box and try to locate your garden in a better spot -- even a slight improvement may make all the difference.

Those issues alone can be adding to your problem. Seeds will need to be carefully watered to keep them moist until they germinate, and crops that typically need full sun -- especially fruit vegetables -- will grow slowly, bloom less, and only likey to provide limited production, if at all, plus the stress will make them susceptible to diseases and pest infestation.

For next year, it would be a good idea to review what will grow well in your situation and what will not to save yourself the frustration and heartache.

Also, raised beds of added compost and soil will provide deeper, nutrient rich, moisture retentive areas to grow healthier plants. You could get them started this fall by piling fall leaves (probably best to mix in large quantities of leaves from other trees as well as the hickory) and grass clippings.

Some gardener's, myself included, have started planting sun-loving vegetables in sunnier front yards. :wink:

I can speak from experience because I have a garden bed within the root zone of a large willow oak. Even though this is a raised bed, I can't keep this garden watered enough if I follow the same schedule as other (raised) beds... especially during drought. I think the tree just sucks up every bit of moisture. This bed is in shade all morning, so there is a limited selection of crops I can grow there and I'm still experimenting. Tomatoes and cucumbers only fruit sporadically, potatoes were unhappy, corn was complete failure, garlic and sunflowers, as well as bush beans did well, as did leafy greens, etc. There are other threads that discuss in depth what you can plant in shady areas.

Return to “Vegetable Gardening Forum”