cubs204

Hales Best Jumbo (HA!) Muskemelon

I had a baby rabbit get stuck in my garden. I think he got in when he was tiny enough then grew rapidly and couldnt get out so I lifted a portion of the fence and left it for a day or two until he found the way out. While he was in there he wrecked my muskemelon vines. Chewed off the growing tips on ALL the main vines and even some side shoots. As a result my fruit have been a little stunted in growth, but they have made it and started turning that lovely gold last week. This morning when I wwent to check on the garden I noticed that wonderful melon smell, so I decided to carefully lift up the one that looked the best and give it a sniff (is there a bette smell?). I barely got a finger on it and it fell off the vine! Yes! finally a melon!
[img]https://i124.photobucket.com/albums/p16/cubs204/IMAG0092.jpg[/img]

dtlove129

Good job man!

Last weekend my cat killed 3 baby rabbits. She was in the tomatoes and every time she would bring one out my dog would take it from her and play with it until I took it from him and knocked it out of its misery. I believe in survival of the fittest, but I don't like watching animals suffer.

cubs204

Oh, believe me, if I could have caught that sucker I would have but I didnt have an air rifle and I don't think the .22 would have been a wise choice. First time I noticced it was caught in there was when it ran across my foot. About gave me a heart attack.

Return to “Vegetable Gardening Forum”