Gary350
Super Green Thumb

Good crop of Potatoes, Onions, Garlic

This year I placed the potato eyes, Onion sets and garlic on the surface of the soil then I covered them all with 6" of potting coil.

I planted White Potatoes and Red Potatoes, in the same row in 2 sections. I got some very nice size potatoes even though it do not rain for 3 months and the temperature was in the 100s for most of the spring and summer. The potatoes must have cross pollinated some of the while potatoes have red streaks running through the white potato.

I planted red, white and yellow potatoes in the same row in 3 sections. They did great too with no rain and 100 degree temperatures for 3 months.

Garlic was planted last year about Sept. I got about 100 very nice size garlics. Wow, I as set for garlic for a very long time.

I bought 1 scoop of what they call potting soil at the garden center. They claim it is left over soil from mushroom farms mixed with sand and soil $35 per load about 1500 lbs in a pickup truck bed.

None of my crop was as large as what can be bought at the grocery store but it is the best I have ever grown in Tennessee.

jal_ut
Super Green Thumb

Fantastic report. :)

Gary350
Super Green Thumb

I found a typing error. I can not edit for here is the correction.

I planted red, white and yellow ONIONS in the same row in 3 sections. They did great too with no rain and 100 degree temperatures for 3 months.

Sweet bell peppers are doing good too.

Beans, squash and okra never came up. I replanted those today. I always get a good late crop of beans and squash but I have never tried a late crop of okra.

I decided not to plant corn I can not keep the deer from eating it.

applestar
Mod

I like mushroom compost (spent mushroom growing "soil"). I guess your potatoes, onions, and garlic did too. :D

Was the beans, okra, squash germination problem due to the drought?

I had trouble with Clemson Spineless not germinating -- actually I thought they germinated but they disappeared. But my Alabama Reds are doing well. But Alabama Reds have fat stubby pods that toughen up rather quickly so I can only pick them small. I think I'm going to plant Burgundy okra in my flower bed next year for the wow factor.

gixxerific
Super Green Thumb

Nice, now you making think I should have planted potatoes. They didn't do well last year it was so wet. I didn't put any in this year other that a few pots.

Congrats.
Last edited by gixxerific on Fri Aug 03, 2012 11:45 pm, edited 1 time in total.

gixxerific
Super Green Thumb

Your potatoes did not cross pollinate. You would have to cross 2 flowers in order to get a cross. Potatoes also I belive need to be hand crossed since bees will rarely do it. The effect will only be seen after planting crossed seed. :)

DoubleDogFarm
Super Green Thumb

gixxerific wrote:Your potatoes did not cross pollinate. You would have to cross 2 flowers in order to get a cross. Potatoes also I belive need to be hand crossed since bees will rarely do it. The effect will only be seen after planting crossed seed. :)
Dono is correct. The only cross pollinating, that I can think of, that shows the current year is corn.

Planting a tuber is cloning. You get what you plant.

Eric

mhannum
Cool Member

Awesome - great harvest, despite the heat.

Return to “Vegetable Gardening Forum”