madonnaswimmer

When to pick Serrano peppers?

First time growing Serrano peppers.

I have grown Cayenne in the past, which I always wait to turn red before I pick so they are at their hottest.

I have also grown Jalapenos, which I always pick BEFORE they turn red because I heard they were hottest when dark green.

So... which way is it with Serrano peppers? Are they hottest when green or when red?

Also, will they get the vertical stripes/striations like Jalapenos do?

Thanks!

PunkRotten
Greener Thumb

I grow them and I notice no heat difference between the green and red. I prefer to pick them red (ripe) because they taste fruity. Also they do not show those wrinkled spots you usually see in Jalapenos. My serranos only grow about 1.5 to 2 inches at the most.

RogueRose
Green Thumb

I pretty much grow them, and keep an eye on them. Sometimes the plant drops them on their own. Then I get those. They pretty much taper off at a size and I'll then pick as I need and keep them on the plant.

Halfway
Green Thumb

My experience is that the red one's are juicier and about the same heat. The greens are fine once they show some corking.

I prefer the taste of the green's, but others disagree. The best bet is to pick a pick and share with family and friends with some good cheese! They'll decide which one's they like!!

Love them serannos!!!!!!!

Return to “Vegetable Gardening Forum”