Brown Thumbs

eggplant still not producing...

Our whole garden came back to life with cooler temps and much needed rain. But our egg plant still won't set. The plant is full and very healthy, been blooming for weeks but not one bloom has turned into a fruit...what gives?

barrelslime

Eggplant are like that. And they are what I consider a late season fruit. there are some spays called blossom set that may help the fruit set.

Avonnow
Green Thumb

Alright I am not a expert, but I grom eggplant here in FL and while it is a warmer climate type plant, if too hot it will not set fruits, but I also read a few times and of course now that I want to make a comment and not look like a dork, I can't find much on it, I read that like tomatoes you can shake the plant or tap the flowers to help pollinate. I have been doing this, when the flowers open I gently run my fingers over the flower to help stimulate pollination. Does it work? I am not sure, I get Eggplants, but it could just be everything else is in proper alignment and I have nothing to do with it, but it is worth a try. I did read this, I swear, I know I did. :lol:

Also I have grown some eggplants with no issues, just produce like crazy and I have had others that just do poorly. The Ichaban is the best performer, and the Fairy tale as well, but the fairy tale are much smaller, so I prefer the Ichaban. One bred for Florida - The Florida Eggplant, I am lucking if I can get the plant to grow or even look good let alone produce. Hit and miss! Good Luck! :wink:

Ruffsta
Green Thumb

I have an eggplant plant that I started indoors from seed last winter.. it grew and leaves came up.. I transplanted it outdoors to my garden right after the last day of frost (it seemed like it was going to die soon after, but low and behold.. it came back even stronger).. and only now it's producing eggplants.. so the only thing I can say is patience is a virtue... I gave it regular water and compost tea.. the plant is doing very well..

just takes time and patience :)

gardenvt
Green Thumb

We have been eating Rosa Bianca and Beatrice for 3-4 weeks now. We also have had good pollinators - bees galore.

If you have blossoms that just dry up, then likely it is a pollination issue. If they are dropping off, perhaps it could be excessive heat. They may also just need some time to recoup from all that heat.

What variety are you growing?

Brown Thumbs

gardenvt wrote:We have been eating Rosa Bianca and Beatrice for 3-4 weeks now. We also have had good pollinators - bees galore.

If you have blossoms that just dry up, then likely it is a pollination issue. If they are dropping off, perhaps it could be excessive heat. They may also just need some time to recoup from all that heat.

What variety are you growing?
It's a black beauty. The plant looks great and is around 3 ft tall with big leaves. I planted it with rest of my veggies in early April. It finally started blooming a few weeks ago and is still blooming, but the flowers simply fall off after a couple days and NO FRUIT. It was miserably HOT and DRY here in June, then we got a lot of rain and temps cooled to low 90's. Now it's heating back up.

Our squash on the other hand didn't do anything all spring, but now after the rain, cooler temps we've been picking every other day. Zucchini too. We have few bees, but they are pollinating squash and I've seen them on the eggplant flowers too. I've got the ground around the plants mulched with grass clippings. I've had patience all spring, summer waiting to cook an eggplant, but heck it's now August :?

gardenvt
Green Thumb

It sounds like you have done everything you can. I would still wait before giving up on it. Maybe take the attitude that if it grows eggplant, great. If it doesn't, well - there is always next year.

I'm not trying to make light of it because I love eggplant and craved it all winter.

I have planted baby lima beans 3 times trying to get 16 plants. So far, I have only 7. If they don't come up this time, I'll put something else in.

But, since you have the plants growing - let them be. If you take them out, you will wonder what if.....

Return to “Vegetable Gardening Forum”