PunkRotten
Greener Thumb

Questions about cukes, melon, squash

Hi,

First off when will the season end for growing cukes and melons? I got a few melons that are close to ready and some about halfway and a few just swelling up. We are coming into august and I am not sure how much longer these melons have to grow. Reason I ask is, if say I only got like 1 more month then these ones barely swelling up now should probably be pinched off cause they won't have time to make it and will only suck nutrients from the more mature melons. Same question for cukes, how long do I got?

Also some of my vines for both cucumbers and melons got powdery mildew pretty bad, I was reading about the milk/water solution but is that gonna cure it or atleast slow it down?

I have never grown squash and recently I got some spaghetti squash seeds. The instructions were not very clear on when to sow them. They say they are winter squash but to start in summer months. I planted seeds about 2 weeks ago and got a few sprouts now with several leaves. Did I plant them at the right time? I read they take like 100 days so I should get a squash around Halloween maybe.

PunkRotten
Greener Thumb

Anyone?

TheWaterbug
Greener Thumb

I've grown pumpkins here in Los Angeles for the last two years, and they'll grow all the way into late October if you let them.

I use HG as my personal gardening blog :D, so [url=https://www.helpfulgardener.com/forum//viewtopic.php?t=36971&postdays=0&postorder=asc&start=0]here's last year's pumpkin growing story[/url]. I was still picking usable pumpkins into mid-December.

I planted on June 10 this year (still wayyyy too early) and they're setting fruit right now. I may pick off all the small fruit for the next 2-3 weeks so I can delay things a bit. If they're too early they rot or get all pitted and scarred by Halloween.

Tonio
Green Thumb

You can certialny give it a try -space allowing.

cukes should be good still depending on your zone/ microclimate.

winter squash is named winter due to needing to grow from summer all the way to fall to eat in winter in some zones IMO. You have to cure them puppies :shock:
summer squash youi can grow in spring and eat in summer.

https://www.digitalseed.com/gardener/schedule/vegetable.html

Return to “Vegetable Gardening Forum”