Francis Barnswallow
Green Thumb

Seriously, where are they coming from?

I've taken down the garden on the side of my house due to poor productivity but mostly because of caterpillar/moth damage. I then bought new patio tomato plants and put them in containers. They are inside my screen area. All are growing and producing better then any other tomato plant I ever had. That's the good part.

Now the bad part. I'm still getting army worms, leaf miners, horn worms, etc.....plus a few new caterpillars I've never seen before including a 2.5 inch dark brown caterpillar I caught chowing down on a tomato. I checked around the pool for holes in screens and I didn't find any, believe me I checked VERY carefully.

How are they getting in? Do they travel (from wherever they're coming from) at night?

Smallgardener

Yes, moths travel at night. Is your screne opened at night? I also would think that the screen is keeping the predators out and they can't get to the critters that are in there.

applestar
Mod

I can't go look for it right now, but a university site publication said it helps to turn off lights near the garden that are attracting moths at night, or to replace the bulbs with -- I think yellow -- bug light bulbs.

Also, I'm not fan of bug zappers, but if your screened/pool area is intended to be completely bug-free, then putting one inside the area might be one idea....

A possibility re: Where the moths are coming from -- caterpillars that are ready to pupate sometimes travel surprising distances from their food source. They might have snuck in, spun their cocoons, and eclosed inside.

Francis Barnswallow
Green Thumb

My screen is always closed at night. I can't imagine the amount of animals and snakes that would love to roam around inside the screen, especially snakes *gets chills*. There are no lights on once we go inside for the night.

We do have 2 resident tree frogs that hide behind a clock during the day but come out at night. I know, because they jump on me when I let the dog out. Scares the bejesus out of me every time.

Return to “Vegetable Gardening Forum”