Patrol_4x4

Tiny insects inside flowers

Hi!!
It's been a while.... Got very frustrated when the forum stopped working!
Anyway, there's still something going wrong because I can't search in the forum, so I am sorry if there is already a thread in regards to this subject...
I keep on finding super tiny black insects inside rockmelon, pumpkin and cucumber flowers. They don't seem to eat up the flower, which makes me think they feed on pollen. As a result, I am not getting my rockmelon pollinated... I am frustrated... Does anyone know how to prevent them? Also, a lot of flowers are dying before even opening, and is I look whats inside....surprise!!! Little bugs!!

Any clue?

dustyrivergardens
Green Thumb

sounds like thrips to me I would use a spinosad product like captain jacks dead bug. I am sure others have a recommendation for you.

Patrol_4x4

Yep! Did some research and I've got flower thrips.... Apparently with neem oil and diatomaceous earth you can control them... Only they don't sell them around here... I'll try with some dust I've got at home. I don't think it's good to sprinkle the inside of the flowers but the insects are there, so I guess the flowers are lost... Shame :(

Return to “Vegetable Gardening Forum”