dtlove129

Winter Squashes

Hey everyone, my winter squashes look pretty good. I mean they are descent size and I planted them back in like April. When are they ready? Some of the vines are looking weak, but we have had some extreme heat and no rain. I have watered everything pretty well this summer, but I'm just wondering when I can pick these things. Maybe I should look at the days to maturity on the package.

Besides this just an update. I put up 72 ears of corn, 20 quarts of cut off corn, several quarts of zucchini, over 60 quart jars of pickles and just started putting up salsa (8 quarts this past weekend) and will be doing it again this weekend. I have pulled my onions and some of my potatoes. Oh and have been eating okra for 2 weeks now...that okra that contemplated on where to plant.

Our mandatory water restriction started today. Can only water on tue,thur, and Sat.

jal_ut
Super Green Thumb

Hmmm, depends some on the variety. Most winter squash will mature in 120 days. If you planted early April you are about there. The skin of growing squash is tender and easily damaged with a fingernail. When it is mature the skin becomes much tougher. Here in my climate, I figure the squash is done when it freezes about mid September, but I can't plant till the 5th of May. Pumpkins will turn orange when ready. You are way ahead of me. My winter squash is just now setting some fruit. The zucchini is producing though.

dtlove129

Thanks James! I'm so busy right now with work I barely have time to see the garden. My zucchini is about finished and so are my cukes. Just now making salsa and stuff though. I really only have the winter squashes, tomatoes, peppers, okra, eggplant, and okra that I'm watching and working with right now. I'm giving any cukes away and eating what few zucchini I still get.

Oh potatoes, the vines are dead and I have dug some as needed, but are they alright to stay in the ground or should I dig them?

applestar
Mod

In my garden, if I leave potatoes in the ground too long, wireworms and some kind of rodent -- chipmunks or field mice -- find them and eat them outright or nibble off significant chunks out of them. :evil:

Return to “Vegetable Gardening Forum”