sheeshshe
Greener Thumb

Faulty pH test kit?

Omgosh, I missed you guys so much! I've been going crazy these past weeks!

My daughter was in surgery and at the hospital for 4 days and I was bored silly and wanted to talk gardening LOL! sooo glad it is back yeah!

OK, so before all that, I got the pH test kit. I used the capsules and I did everything it said. I used distilled water. I then used rain water. I don't' think it is right at all. It says my native soil is 6.0. I have blueberry plants ALLLLL over my yard growing crazy. wild maine blueberries which have a soil pH need of 4.5 to grow. and the thing says that all my other places are 7.0 in my garden. I gave up because I honestly don't know if it is right or not. blueberry plants wouldn't grow wild and all over the place if the requirements aren't right, right??
Sheila, gardening on the zone 4b/5a line.

Northernfox
Greener Thumb

Oh my goodness I felt the same way. I posted an update tour of my garden and got few views. I thought I was not loved anymore :). I hope your daughter is alright!! Anywhoo to buisness :)

Home Ph kits are terribly bad. Their error rate is typically huge. If you really want to know what it is call an analytical chemistry lab. Ask them to run a Ph test on your sail. It will cost you but it will be accurate. Some county agriculture departments will do it for free but I live in Canada not so sure about the states.

You are right. Blueberries require very specific micro climates. Depending on the variety a small Ph change might kill them. You could be getting different Ph results in different areas depending on historic and current use, plants and water regime.
Stephen

Northernfox
Greener Thumb

Ps can you test the July 13th link in my signature. Oh and watch it I need friends
Stephen

sheeshshe
Greener Thumb

well I got the test kit because I wanted to test about 10 different sites on my property. that would cost me $100. GAH!

I'll try and watch it when my computer is working correctly :)
Sheila, gardening on the zone 4b/5a line.

Northernfox
Greener Thumb

I am going to ask a friend of mine that works at a lab if there is a good way to test at home. :) I'll get back to you
Stephen

Return to “Vegetable Gardening Forum”