PhillyGardener

What to plant now for fall crop?

I'm ready to pull up my zucchini plants, which will free up 2 square feet in my garden and one big pot. I plan to add a cucumber for a late September/early October harvest. What else could I plant that can stand these super-hot east coast temps, or should I just wait? (I am not a fan of radishes or beets, for what it's worth.) I would love to plant onion and garlic, but figure I should wait (right?). If there aren't many veggies to plant right now I will probably just fill the space with more herbs.

RogueRose
Green Thumb

I always go here when I need to figure out what to plant: https://www.motherearthnews.com/Organic-Gardening/What-To-Plant-Now/Mid-Atlantic-Gardening-Region.aspx

I had an "oopsie" last year and planted my garlic early. It came out fine...some small cloves, but otherwise fine. I got some big ones too.

Bobberman
Super Green Thumb

All kinds of vegs for fall. Kohlrabi, lettuce of all types. perfect time for beets and swiss chard. spinach. Carrots, Start plants in boxes and then plant in the gaden! Cucumbers. Peas all kinds of beans! I live in Pa. and when something is done I add something else. I put in a row of mixed things yesterday beets and beans with a few cukes mixed in! I can always move some of them! Put things before a rain or even after! Sunflowers will grow now also! I will put beans in till aug and mix in some onions!Tonight I am putting several rows of 65 day corn!

PhillyGardener

Thank for the replies and the link! Bobberman, I'm jealous--here in the city in SE PA, I only have a 4x6' raised bed and lots of containers to squeeze in as much as I can, so things like corn are unfortunately not the best use of space. But carrots I can do! And I will definitely be planting another cucumber or two to satisfy my partner's pickle habit :P

ReptileAddiction
Greener Thumb

Your lucky for the 5x7 I only have the pots plus some in ground fruit. I would someday love to have a giant garden with tons of different plants :roll:

RogueRose
Green Thumb

I'm gonna piggy-back on this and ask when it is best to plant lettuce in this region. It's been so hot lately and I want to time this out right so I can get some decent lettuce. I'm guessing September?

dustyrivergardens
Green Thumb

I like to plant carrots about now so they are still young when it starts to frost they are extra sweet.

GeorgiaTiger

RogueRose...thank you, thank you, thank you for that link!!!

mmmfloorpie

Good time for root veges like onions and potatoes?

rainbowgardener
Super Green Thumb

You're in zone 6? I would think it is still pretty early, with a lot of hot summer to get thru yet. Too soon to plant fall stuff.

Here's another what to plant when guidelines:

https://www.thevegetablegarden.info/resources/planting-schedules/zones-5-6-planting-schedule

I would think the best thing to be planting now would be beans. Then in Aug you could plant some root vegetables and some greens.

Bobberman
Super Green Thumb

Lettuce I would wait till middle of Aug unless you are growing head types lettuce which in NJ and Pa I would say august irst week. The problem with lettuce is you ave to keep it fro getting too dry! I have planted lettuce in a part shade area or plant it and use lattice above it to hade it! Endive is also a good rop for fall! I would plant a row of beans every week till the middle of august! Climbing beans plant till august! Peas you can plant till the middle of august!
+++
I am going to put a row of new sunflowers in this week! We need rain here bad! I have a small A frame 8 by 12 greenhouse with chicken wire all around it and scarlet runner beans climbing plus have tomatos inside to keep there for winter and planted them directly in the ground!.

Return to “Vegetable Gardening Forum”