2cents
Green Thumb

last pepper date

I started three new peppers, direct sow on June 15th
Ghost, Poblano, Trinadad Scorpion

Poblanos emerged July 10th, it has been hot and dry.
Watering has been a continuous process.

Has anyone else started them this late And do you think they will produce?
What's my chances with the two hotties?

rainbowgardener
Super Green Thumb

Will they produce this season? Not too likely. Ghost peppers especially have a reputation for being very slow. But even your poblanos, which are probably the quickest won't be producing any peppers until 4 months from now.

You didn't say where in Ohio, but 4 months from now is November. I don't think anywhere in Ohio doesn't have frost before November.

HOWEVER, if when the nights are starting to get cold, you have a few good sized plants, you can pot them up and bring them in for the winter. With luck, good care, and some supplemental lighting, you should be able to keep it alive through the winter (though not producing peppers). Then next spring you can bring them back out and they will be ready to start fruiting early in the season next year.

hendi_alex
Super Green Thumb

When moving hot peppers inside for the winter, I never get many peppers, but the ones that already set usually ripen. Last time I moved my peppers into the greenhouse, it added at least two months to our harvest. Even in the greenhouse they don't thrive however. The days are too short and the temperatures dip too low after late October or mid November.

Ruffsta
Green Thumb

I suggest bringing them indoors and using T5 lighting.. use some compost tea now and then and you should do fine. I've grown a few peppers indoors in my time - takes a little longer but if I can manage to do it - anyone can.

I'll be growing ghost peppers as well as habaneros indoors this winter, I start my seeds the first day of fall (I do that just to keep a working routine in order).

oh, and once in a blue moon, substitute compost tea for a liquid fertilizer (like miracle grow, but not too much as it makes the soil too acidic). I say like once a month.

good luck with your pepper plants and happy gardening!

2cents
Green Thumb

Update,
Poblanos are 3-6 inches tall
no Trinada no Ghost

applestar
Mod

It must be tough to keep the seedbed moist. Sometimes it helps to scatter a single layer of blades of grass/grass clippings -- just cross cross of single blades of grass,

2cents
Green Thumb

we did have several rain a few days apart. That helped alot. now its time to keep water. Although, I've all but gave up on the TS & G

ThePepperSeed
Cool Member

2cents wrote:we did have several rain a few days apart. That helped alot. now its time to keep water. Although, I've all but gave up on the TS & G
The TS & G can take 10 or more days to sprout even in the best of conditions. I'm sure outside takes much longer. If you want to grow either of those and get any peppers your best bet is to start them inside in Feb then move them outside right after your last frost date.

2cents
Green Thumb

Thank you all for the kind suggestions.
Signed,
Patiently waiting for super hots

Return to “Vegetable Gardening Forum”