tenplay

What vegetables do slugs not like?

Instead of fighting the little buggers everyday, I give up. I've tried every suggested remedy with only a little success and am worn down. We live next to a large green belt from which they invade every night. Please tell me which vegetables they have no interest in. If you can't beat them, join them.

GardenRN
Greener Thumb

They never seem to mess with my garlic or tomatoes....but that's probably about it.

Bobberman
Super Green Thumb

A joke slugs don't likethe money plant! I would use a sand mulch and spinkle some epsom salts every week or even spray with a epson salt sulution after a rain! Any logs or bricks have the giant snals under them and they lay 100 of eggs! I find toads and put them in my garden! Snails do not like naturtiums so plant them all over the garden!!

Kisal
Mod Emeritus

I've never found a plant they don't like. They love everything in my yard. I even find them up in my apple tree. :roll:

rainbowgardener
Super Green Thumb

There's actually quite a few things:

Slugs don't bother my swiss chard (though other people do not have the same experience), garlic, onions, tomatoes, herbs (basil, oregano, sage, mint, etc), carrots, dill, fennel, parsley.

They didn't bother my potatoes. They have never bothered my cucurbits (squash, melons, cucumbers) but that doesn't matter, since the cucurbits get destroyed by squash bugs and vine borers!
:twisted:

In my garden mainly they love brassicas (cabbage, broccoli, etc), lettuce, peppers. They're actually a bit picky, will chew up the lettuce like crazy and leave the spinach right next to it alone.

But I think it depends on geography and climate. Kisal and cynthia live in cool moist climates that are havens to them. I lost track of how many cynthia had killed out of her garden when it got over 1000 !! I can't imagine anything like that. If you have an army of them like that, they probably will just over-run everything.

GardenRN
Greener Thumb

Oh gosh RG, I think the onions were absolutely my slugs' favorite! lol. Figures. They definitely went for my beans and cukes too when the cukes were very young. I guess it really does vary from garden to garden.

cynthia_h
Super Green Thumb

To the OP: Is there any way you can have a pet duck? Ducks LOVE to hunt and eat snails and slugs. :twisted: Just make sure that whatever enclosure the duck stays in at night or during inclement weather is raccoon-PROOF, and I mean PROOF. A friend of mine had a duck as a garden assistant until the night that raccoons opened up the locked enclosure....no more duck. :cry:

Cynthia H.
Sunset Zone 17, USDA Zone 9

Return to “Vegetable Gardening Forum”