Northernfox
Greener Thumb

I thought those Water Melons were Dead.... Question

Soooo I thought my water melons were dead... guess not... I think I have one female and one male plant here still. I clipped back some cucumbers I put in their place what should I do about the one in the top left?

once I confirm the one in the bottom left is a cucumber ill get ride of it. knowing this I want to keep the squash in the bottom right.... sooo I am going to try really hard to make it work.

so should I clip the cucumber on the top right? I have another box with two plants in it.

[img]https://i1262.photobucket.com/albums/ii603/Northernfox14/bf8a1bad.jpg[/img]

rainbowgardener
Super Green Thumb

Watermelons do not have male and female plants. They have separate male and female flowers, but one plant will produce both kinds of flower.

Northernfox
Greener Thumb

Oh I did not know that. Why did the seed pack say male and female on different pouches :)

So should I remove the cucumber ?

applestar
Mod

Um... Those leaves don't look like watermelon to me. All the different varieties of watermelons I've grown have "fingers" in their leaves. Looks more like squash or cucumber?

IMHO, the container looks hardly big enough for the two big plants. Definitely not enough room for any more.

rainbowgardener
Super Green Thumb

Northernfox wrote:Oh I did not know that. Why did the seed pack say male and female on different pouches :)
I have no idea what was on your seed packs or why they would say that. Maybe you misinterpreted something? THere is no way they could divide the watermelon seeds into male and female. The seeds are in the melon and only the female flowers produce fruit.

"Plants develop seeds through pollination. Pollen is transferred from the stamen to the pistil and the essential organs. Most flowers also contain sepals and petals. A complete flower contains all four parts.Some plants have incomplete flowers. Only one of the essential organs is found in a flower. Plants with incomplete flowers are divided into two groups, dioecious or monoecious. Dioecious plants have only male or only female flowers on a single plant.

The watermelon is part of the botanical family called Cucurbitaceae. These plants are monoecious and producing both male (staminate) and female (pistillate) flowers on the same plant."
https://www.mda.state.md.us/mdfarmtoschool/pdf/f2s_watermelon_science2.pdf

Jeremy brua

If they the melons were seedless then there should hav ed been a packet of seeds inside marked "pollenator". A seedless plant doesnt produce pollen needed to make fruit. But those don't look like melon plants. This is my first year so take it how you want.

Good luck!

Return to “Vegetable Gardening Forum”