Judybear
Newly Registered

Very strange peppers

OK. So I am not the most careful person when I plant stuff. I started four kinds of sweet peppers this spring, or at least I thought I did: Yellow bananas, Golden Summit, one I have been calling "Ron's Red" that I got from a fellow gardener, and another that didn't survive. When I up-potted the starts int 5" pots, I lost one of the tags and couldn't remember whether it was GS or RR. We;;, it is NOT GS. GS has yellowish-green leaves. This plant's leaves are green. But then I noticed a pepper growing in the center of the plant... growing UPWARDS. Sort of pear-shaped. I am stumped and cannot even figure out where to look or what to call it's type. My neighbor says it is called a "pendant" type of pepper (which makes no sense to me) but I still can't find out anything about this on line. Can anyone help? It has about 5 more tiny peppers starting, all growing upwards. The pepper is about2" across thre base and tapering toward the top, a sort of pale green in color.

Thanks for any help!

- JB

rainbowgardener
Super Green Thumb

Several varieties of chilies do that.

This is a Fresno chili:

[img]https://dustbowlseed.com/catalog/images/medium/07.12.2011%20Fresno%20Chilli%20[640x480]_MED.JPG[/img]

Hungarian wax peppers and Tobasco peppers and some hot banana peppers (not the sweet ones) are others that I have seen mentioned as growing upward and I know there are others.

I don't think your neighbor is right. Pendant pods, as you would think, describes the ones that hang down.

Welcome to the Forum!

digitS'
Super Green Thumb

Peppers cross-pollinate quite readily.

It could be that the seed from your friend Ron's plants are actually a genetic mixture if he had multiple varieties growing together. So, what you have may not even be recognizable to Ron.

I have gardens in more than 1 location. It finally/finally/finally got thru to me that I needed to separate the one I wanted seed from, away from the others! Since pepper seed lasts a few years, I can have pepper A in the secure location, pepper B in security the next year, pepper C the following year . . .

I blame the syrphid flies. They always seem to up to something :wink: .

Steve

Judybear
Newly Registered

Thanks for your replies. Ron did warn me to put "bonnets" on my pepper flowers this year so I could save the seed for seedkeepers, but they were flowering before I knew it, what with all the heat we had here. As to separating the plants, they grow on my 14-foot deck. Can't get much separation among 3 pepper plants, although the California Wonder - Orange is about 6 feet away from the other two, one of which is a hybrid. The CWO just began flowering in the last couple of days.

And if it is contaminated seed, I don't know which lot it was from, either "Ron's Red" or Golden Summit, or maybe Island Sunset?

GRR.

Guess I'll have to proof my seeds next summer to see which are what. Or maybe I can ask people to whom I gave some of the seedlings and find out what they are getting?
- JB

- JB

Return to “Vegetable Gardening Forum”