sixboots

When to harvest corn

I read an article about when to harvest corn. It states the following:

In general, the ears are ready to be picked 3 weeks after the silks first appear. The silks should be brown and dry. If the ear looks ready, peel back the husk just enough to see the top of the ear. Poke a kernel with your fingernail. A thin, white liquid will emerge if the corn is ready to be picked. If the liquid is clear, the ear is not ripe enough. If the liquid is thick, it may be slightly over-ripe. You can also taste a raw kernel. It should be very sweet and fairly firm. The kernels should fill out the ear, almost to the top. If the kernels don't reach the top of the ear, but all signs point to it being ripe and ready to eat, go ahead and harvest it anyway and cut off the top before serving.

As for my corn, it's definitely been 3 weeks, the silks look brown and dry, upon poking a kernel, a white milky liquid seeps out, but the corn is small. I guess I thought the ears would be bigger. I'm thinking I should harvest all that meet most of the criteria above, but just wanted confirmation from you guys.

Thanks.

jal_ut
Super Green Thumb

Go for it! Put the water on to boil before going to pick it. Enjoy!

RogueRose
Green Thumb

Yup yup - to all of the above - when it's got the milky goodness coming out, it's ready!

Also don't shuck it til right before it goes into the pot. I always see people shucking corn at the supermarket and it drives me nuts.

sixboots

Thanks all. No shucking here! Soaked it in brine for a couple hours and on the grill it went. It was fantastic!

sixboots

Thanks all. No shucking here! Soaked it in brine for a couple hours and on the grill it went. It was fantastic!

jal_ut
Super Green Thumb

Thumbs up! You are making my mouth water.

joed2323

lol I always see people at food stores shucking corn also, and I'm thinking to myself what are these people doing that for??? I just shake my head and walk on.

rainbowgardener
Super Green Thumb

I would never shuck corn at the store, because I put the husks in my compost pile. But if you aren't grilling your corn, you are going to take the husks off. I personally am not all that fond of grilled corn and prefer just to boil it a few minutes. So I husk it.

Return to “Vegetable Gardening Forum”