jnunez918

What will increase pepper production?

I have tons on hot and bells. What is best? I have bone meal, blood meal, and hasta go plant.

jnunez918

Oops, I meant tons of plants but not a lot of fruit production. What is the best thing to amend soil to up my results.

veggiedan
Cool Member

This isn't really a solution to your problem, but might be relevant. I kept some hot peppers and sweet banana pepper alive over the winter. They're pretty frost sensitive, but I covered them, and we didn't have any bad freezes. I am absolutely AWASH in fruit from them this season. Almost more peppers than leaves! And I started harvesting in April. See if you can beat that.

Peppers are actually perennials.

The point is that you'll have a big healthy plant hitting the fruiting part of the season early. Of course, once you get into deep summer, fruit production will slow down. That may be where you are with yours now.

So if you don't get many fruit this year, try to keep them alive until next year. You might be surprised.

Halfway
Green Thumb

I added about 10 match heads to each hole when up-planting from the starter flats.

My production usually happens in late August and September, although some can fruit early. I've learned to pinch those early (June) fruits to get a better production in the fall.

As Dan said, they are perennials. Keep some of the more hardy bushes for the next season and they should do well. I found this especially true with Tepins.

Best of success!

dustyrivergardens
Green Thumb

mix 1 tablespoon of epsoms salts (magnesium) with a gallon of water. Mix well and pour over your pepper plants I usually do it every time I harvest my peppers or if my peppers are not producing well.
[img]https://i272.photobucket.com/albums/jj163/hunt-john/gardening/IMAG1871.jpg[/img]

applestar
Mod

The other half of Epsom salt is sulfur --- or full chemical name is Magnesium Sulfate, so you are adding sulfur too. You have to be careful since this is salts, they can become concentrated and built up (especially if growing in containers -- just adding this for thoroughness).

In my case, I needed to adjust pH too, so used dolomitic lime for magnesium (and calcium) along with greensand for micro nutrients when planting.

I think out west, you would use azomite or other rock dust instead of greensand.

Return to “Vegetable Gardening Forum”