DoubleDogFarm
Super Green Thumb

Corn

Lookin good there James.

My Painted Mountain corn is chin high.
[img]https://i67.photobucket.com/albums/h300/eric_wa/Double%20Dog%20Farm%20%20%20Garden%20Vegetables/VegetableGardenJuly32012021.jpg[/img]

Eric

Bobberman
Super Green Thumb

Did you tae that great picture on a DOG day afternoon!

DoubleDogFarm
Super Green Thumb

You can't be Sirius Boberman, it rained last night. :lol:
In Ancient Rome, the Dog Days extended from July 24 through August 24, or, alternatively, July 23 through August 23. In many European cultures (German, French, Italian) this period is still said to be the time of the Dog Days.

The Old Farmer's Almanac lists the traditional timing of the Dog Days as the 40 days beginning July 3 and ending August 11, coinciding with the ancient heliacal (at sunrise) rising of the Dog Star, Sirius. These are the days of the year when rainfall is at its lowest levels.

According to The Book of Common Prayer (1552), the "Dog Daies" begin on July 6 and end on August 17. But this edition of the Book of Common Prayer (The 2nd book of Edward VI) was never extensively used and never adopted by the Convocation of the Church of England.

In the lectionary of the 1611 edition of the Authorized Version of the Bible, commonly called the King James Bible, the Dog Days begin on July 6 and end on September 5.

In the lectionary of the Book of Common Prayer 1559 shows "Naonae. Dog days begin" with the readings for the 7th day of July. The end of the dog days is noted as the 18 August. But this is noted as a misprint[2] and the readings for the 5th day of September have "Naonae. Dog days end". This corresponds with the lectionary in the Bible. The 1559 edition of the Book of Common Prayer would have provided the official liturgical calendar for Jamestown, Virginia, in 1607 and years following. So the dogs days were at least officially noted in the new world. A recent edition of the 1662 Book of Common Prayer makes no mention of the dog days in the corresponding place
Eric

jal_ut
Super Green Thumb

Interesting Jal, my carrots didn't bloom and I would think they would be ahead of yours. First year with carrots though, so they may not be in good shape and I just don't know it haha.
Carrots are biennial. They don't bloom the first year. I planted some large roots that I had in the pit all winter. Yes, I am going for the seed. I have been growing a lot of my own seed lately.

Return to “Vegetable Gardening Forum”