jal_ut
Super Green Thumb

Corn Knee High By The Fourth Of July

We hear that old phrase every year, and most years it is very true, however this year, the corn is clear to my elbows.

[img]https://donce.lofthouse.com/jamaica/corn_july4.jpg[/img]

Couple more pics:

Carrot bloom, and the bees love it.

[img]https://donce.lofthouse.com/jamaica/carrot_bloom.jpg[/img]

Nice lettuce. Still sweet in spite of 95 degree weather.

[img]https://donce.lofthouse.com/jamaica/lettuce_july4.jpg[/img]

Onions starting to bulb

[img]https://donce.lofthouse.com/jamaica/onion_july4.jpg[/img]
Gardening at 5000 feet elevation, zone 4/5 Northern Utah, Frost free from May 25 to September 8 +/-

PunkRotten
Greener Thumb

Nice pics thanks for sharing.

RogueRose
Green Thumb

Great pics! Mine is HEAD high! Lol. I have updated pics in my album pic below from a couple days ago.

Bobberman
Super Green Thumb

They are selling local corn here for several days. My few corn are ready to pick also!
I enjoy fishing ,gardening and a solar greenhouse! carpet installation repair and sales for over 45 years! I am the inventor of the Bobber With A Brain - Fishing Bobber!

dtlove129

Interesting Jal, my carrots didn't bloom and I would think they would be ahead of yours. First year with carrots though, so they may not be in good shape and I just don't know it haha.
John
2nd year gardner

albucsfan
Cool Member

Mostly my corn gets planted in April, do its picked by 4th of july :D
10 ears ready for the pot now & more in next few days...
Alabama weather is good for something even if I can't manage to grow cool season stuff :D (Spring... What Spring?)

MaryDel

We are just getting sweetcorn here on Delmarva, unfortunately, this is the first year in 20 years I have been unable to grow any :cry:

cynthia_h
Super Green Thumb

Looking great!

Cynthia H.
Sunset Zone 17, USDA Zone 9

GardenRN
Greener Thumb

dtlove129 wrote:Interesting Jal, my carrots didn't bloom and I would think they would be ahead of yours. First year with carrots though, so they may not be in good shape and I just don't know it haha.
Carrots are biennial. They grow the root the first year, bloom the second year.
Jeff

USDA Zone 7a, Sunset Zone 32.

Failure is only a fact when you give up.

PunkRotten
Greener Thumb

I have a carrot flower but for some reason the bees in my area don't care for it.

Jeremy brua

That must have been some sorry corn "back in the day" to only be knee high by now. Most of the fields by me are 6', they might be 7 after the rain we finaly got last night.

jal_ut
Super Green Thumb

Different climate for sure. Most years we are not frost free until June. I can usually get away with planting corn May 5, but even then some years it gets frozen. Corn is pretty resilient and will usually grow again even if the first leaves get frozen. Slows it down though when that happens.
Gardening at 5000 feet elevation, zone 4/5 Northern Utah, Frost free from May 25 to September 8 +/-

hit or miss
Green Thumb

Very nice! A friend of mine has picked over 250 ears already! The carrot bloom is awesome! One of my carrots was starting to go to seed, big thick stalk and all. It must have been a freak, I just planted them this spring! I pulled it on a whim! It was starting to get a pretty nice sized root on it so I know where the rest of them are in the growth stage.

Jeremy brua

jal_ut wrote:Different climate for sure. Most years we are not frost free until June. I can usually get away with planting corn May 5, but even then some years it gets frozen. Corn is pretty resilient and will usually grow again even if the first leaves get frozen. Slows it down though when that happens.
I was told by an old farmer as long as the plant has less then 2 leaves it can freeze solid and it will be fine. I don't know if there is any truth to it.

GardenRN
Greener Thumb

Jeremy brua wrote:
jal_ut wrote:Different climate for sure. Most years we are not frost free until June. I can usually get away with planting corn May 5, but even then some years it gets frozen. Corn is pretty resilient and will usually grow again even if the first leaves get frozen. Slows it down though when that happens.
I was told by an old farmer as long as the plant has less then 2 leaves it can freeze solid and it will be fine. I don't know if there is any truth to it.
Do you mean "more" than two leaves? Corn has more than two leaves almost from the moment it sprouts.
Jeff

USDA Zone 7a, Sunset Zone 32.

Failure is only a fact when you give up.

Jeremy brua

I meant 2 ot less, sorry

jal_ut
Super Green Thumb

Corn grows from the center and the growing point is underground until the plant reaches a certain size, so it can get the leaves frozen and still put up new growth. Not like other plants that grow from the terminal bud.

[url=https://www.ca.uky.edu/agc/pubs/agr/agr192/agr192.pdf]Frost damage in Corn[/url]

cynthia_h
Super Green Thumb

I don't know how many, if any, of us could get the wonderful growth and yields you do at your elevation and conditions, jal-ut. Beautiful plants!

Cynthia

Return to “Vegetable Gardening Forum”