sheeshshe
Greener Thumb

Does too much rain=no bees?

I just realized that I haven't seen any bees this year. Maybe 1 or 2 in the last 2 mos. there are normally bumblebees all over the place getting to the clover in our yard. We haven't been seeing any at all. It has been quite rainy this year, even though now it is sunny during the day and raining in the evening, I wonder if all the rain in the spring messed with the bees and they died? could they have died because there was no food?

soil
Greener Thumb

It's very possible that the hive close to you died. That is if it was wild chances are if it was someones hive they feed the bees.

sheeshshe
Greener Thumb

they were bumble bees. I don't think anyone around here keeps bees :( I want to, but don't have the $ for start up :(

Dillbert
Greener Thumb

if you are not aware, the widespread use of pesticides has been implicated in a decline of bee populations. in the all too common quest to "kill all the bugs" the bees are not not fairing well - the pesticides kill the bees along with the "bad" bugs.

https://www.nytimes.com/2012/03/30/science/neocotinoid-pesticides-play-a-role-in-bees-decline-2-studies-find.html?_r=1
and
https://www.epa.gov/opp00001/about/intheworks/honeybee.htm
explain it in more detail.

it affects not only cultivated "hives" of for example honey bees - bumble bees and wild bees of every sort have been impacted.

there are other diseases / factors contributing to "bee colony collapse" which has raised considerable concern in the agricultural community.

cynthia_h
Super Green Thumb

Bumblebees are also ground-dwellers, so if there's been a LOT of rain, they may not have been able to establish a suitable home.

Cynthia H.
Sunset Zone 17, USDA Zone 9

sheeshshe
Greener Thumb

we had REALLY rainy week at one point in the spring where we got 8 inches of rain over the week. and ever since it has rained nearly every day in some sort of fashion. there were a couple weeks where it only rained 2 or 3 days LOL.

I did see a honeybee yesterday. but man. usually this place is swarming with bumblebees :( makes me so sad. I liked my bumblebee friends.

rainbowgardener
Super Green Thumb

too bad you can't share some of all that, with most of the country that is in drought!

sheeshshe
Greener Thumb

I KNOW!! :( I wish I could. we were in a drought though but now we're out of it with the rain. thankfully. but now at this point, I wish it would go to the people who need it next. it already rained this morning!!! it is starting to clear up and is supposed to rain again this afternoon.

Return to “Vegetable Gardening Forum”