GardenRN
Greener Thumb

The great seed fling...

So after watching a few videos and reading a few books, and getting a scary view of what happens when the likes of Monsanto are out there taking control of all of our food supplies, I feel sufficiently paranoid about GMO products.

Since I am done with seeds for the season until fall, I am going to go through my seed box and pitch anything that's not heirloom. If it means I can't grow a certain vegetable unless I am able to find an heirloom variety before next spring, then so be it.

I realize that the things I buy in the food store may very well be, or contain these GMOs, all I can do is avoid it as much as possible.

I'll put a list of the "bad" seed up in case anyone else wants them. I know not everyone shares my point of view.....geez, am I goin' off the deep end?

gixxerific
Super Green Thumb

No you are not.

Monsanto is one that needs to be watched as you now well know.

jal_ut
Super Green Thumb

Ya, you have lost it! Send me your seeds.

DoubleDogFarm
Super Green Thumb

Defining GM and GE
By definition, genetic modification includes any plant bred or altered for genes that display a particular trait. For example, breeding plants for disease resistance or cold hardiness are common early examples of genetic modification. The controversy over GM seeds, however, concerns plants in which genes are added to or removed from their genomes, a practice called genetic engineering, or GE. Sometimes, these genes come from other organisms.

Defining Organic
The U.S. Department of Agriculture's National Organic Program prohibits the use of genetically engineered seeds in organic production. If a seed packet bears the USDA's organic certification label, it will not contain GE seed.

Other Non-GE Seeds
Organics are the only GE-free seeds. Heritage and heirloom varieties of seeds come from open-pollinated plants that have been grown for generations. Their special traits come from selective breeding, not genetic engineering. The Council for Responsible Genetics also established the Safe Seed Resource List, which seed producers can sign, attesting that they do not sell genetically engineered seed
They don't have to be OP Heritage or Heirloom just Organic.

Don't listen to James, Send them to me. :lol:

Eric

luvthesnapper

Avoid gmo everything, and tell everyone to do the same. Very simple. Monsanto won't exist if you don't buy what they are a part of, and verbally oppose it, online.

Look at the whole "pink slime" deal with mcdonalds. In 30 days, a major manufacturer was out of business when people started flapping their gums.

Tonio
Green Thumb

Add me in !! Avoid GMO !!!! see my signature?? Did you vote?

Don't feel paranoid, research it with a clear mind. It's simple Monsanto is trying to control us , and EPA is in bed with them.

I'm with DDF, make sure its labelled organic at least. But I've read most reputable seed sources for " home gardening" is not GMO. Is it getting that bad??

T

rainbowgardener
Super Green Thumb

Check with your seed company. I think most seed companies that grow for/ sell to home gardeners are non GMO.

Burpee has an article on their website saying that they never sell any GMO, even though they sell a lot of hybrid corn and other varieties:

https://www.burpee.com/gygg/content.jsp?contentId=about-burpee-seeds

soil
Greener Thumb

Isn't burpee owned by monsanto?

The best thing you can do is work with your local neighbors to grow and save your own seed.

rainbowgardener
Super Green Thumb

No, check out the article I linked to. They make a big point about the false rumor about them being owned by Monsanto and the fact that they are still a family owned business. They buy "a small amount" of their seeds from a Monsanto owned subsidiary, but they are definitely not owned by Monsanto.

That doesn't change the fact that saving your own seed is probably still your best option in many cases. You know what you are getting, how it was treated, and it is adapted to your local conditions.

GardenRN
Greener Thumb

DoubleDogFarm wrote:
Defining GM and GE
By definition, genetic modification includes any plant bred or altered for genes that display a particular trait. For example, breeding plants for disease resistance or cold hardiness are common early examples of genetic modification. The controversy over GM seeds, however, concerns plants in which genes are added to or removed from their genomes, a practice called genetic engineering, or GE. Sometimes, these genes come from other organisms.

Defining Organic
The U.S. Department of Agriculture's National Organic Program prohibits the use of genetically engineered seeds in organic production. If a seed packet bears the USDA's organic certification label, it will not contain GE seed.

Other Non-GE Seeds
Organics are the only GE-free seeds. Heritage and heirloom varieties of seeds come from open-pollinated plants that have been grown for generations. Their special traits come from selective breeding, not genetic engineering. The Council for Responsible Genetics also established the Safe Seed Resource List, which seed producers can sign, attesting that they do not sell genetically engineered seed
They don't have to be OP Heritage or Heirloom just Organic.

Don't listen to James, Send them to me. :lol:

Eric
Yeah, and Monsanto had "Round-Up" labeled as " biodegradable" for years before the govt agencies caught on and made em change it. So how do I know things that are labeled organic have even met the standards....And what's more, how do I know the govn't's standards for organic are the same as mine?

Dang, I don't trust anyone anymore! lol. Someone having that much control over multinational food supplies is not a good thing.

Why is the government in bed with them? So that next time we have a war they can send out a chemical that only they know will destroy all of the GMO crops that that country is now growing therefore crippling their finances from exports and almost wiping out their food supply? Sounds like something they'd try to do...

GardenRN
Greener Thumb

Tonio wrote:Add me in !! Avoid GMO !!!! see my signature?? Did you vote?

Don't feel paranoid, research it with a clear mind. It's simple Monsanto is trying to control us , and EPA is in bed with them.

I'm with DDF, make sure its labelled organic at least. But I've read most reputable seed sources for " home gardening" is not GMO. Is it getting that bad??

T
Some stuff sort of IS labeled. I found out the the little bar code stickers on fresh fruits and veggies has a number sequence of either 4 or 5 numbers.

4 numbers = conventionally grown.
5 numbers starting with a 9 = Organic
5 numbers starting with an 8 = GMO

DoubleDogFarm
Super Green Thumb

example
According to Metzgar, this means a regular banana
would have a sticker saying 4011, an organic banana
would say 94011 and a GM banana would say 84011

Eric

Tonio
Green Thumb

I've never seen a banana with 84011 ( 5digit starting w/ 8)- only seen traditional or organic.

So traditional use pesticides, and 84011 is GMO , so no pesticides used? Guess there is no need if it has the terminator gene :x

Oh, they're in bed all right- DOW makes pesticides that is the same as agent orange. Ex-FDAer's are now upper staff of Monsanto, and visa versa.

DownriverGardener

we have a lot of local farmers out our way, who grow their own stuff and sell it in their markets. I wonder is Monsanto supplies to the local farmers?

DoubleDogFarm
Super Green Thumb

Jeff,

Something to look over.
https://www.nofany.org/sites/default/files/BreedingOrganicVegetables-2011.pdf

Eric

sheeshshe
Greener Thumb

DownriverGardener wrote:we have a lot of local farmers out our way, who grow their own stuff and sell it in their markets. I wonder is Monsanto supplies to the local farmers?
watch the documentary "Fresh". :)

cynthia_h
Super Green Thumb

A lot of people were skeptical about the USDA's guidelines/rules/practices on "organic" before they were promulgated, and persuaded the USDA to change some of the more unpalatable (in every possible way) prospective rules.

However, many small growers were still unhappy that "corporate organic" practices were now enshrined and their own soil-nourishing practices were ignored by the USDA, so they looked elsewhere for certifications.

I don't have an exhaustive list--I have only a very short list, in fact--and I hope that those members who can add to this list will do so. But these two organizations were certifying organic growers before the USDA stomped in and messed things up about what was and was not "organic":

[url=https://www.ccof.org]CCOF Certification Services[/url]

[url=https://www.tilth.org]Oregon Tilth[/url]

While looking up these links, I discovered that these two organizations are planning to [url=https://ccoftilthmerger.org/]merge[/url] soon. It can only help; there's strength in numbers. (Hmm...can't find an emoticon for grim satisfaction.)

Cynthia H.
Sunset Zone 17, USDA Zone 9

GardenRN
Greener Thumb

Great link Eric, Thanks! I'll have to print that baby out and keep it with all of my gardening books.

GardenRN
Greener Thumb

sheeshshe wrote:
DownriverGardener wrote:we have a lot of local farmers out our way, who grow their own stuff and sell it in their markets. I wonder is Monsanto supplies to the local farmers?
watch the documentary "Fresh". :)
I watched the trailer, it looks great! I'll have to order it when I get paid again!

sheeshshe
Greener Thumb

it is an awesome documentary, I wish everyone would/could watch it. an eye opener for sure!

So... speaking of GMO's... I got some seeds 4 for $1 the other day, some say "packed for 2012 Not Genetically modified untreated seed" and some say "packed for 2012 untreated seed". would you assume that the ones that don't say not genetically modified are modified? one is a melon the other is a long purple eggplant. the ones that say not genetically modified are radish and squash.

gixxerific
Super Green Thumb

Just watched the video. Very good thanks Sheshe for putting that out there. Seemed to based a lot in Mo so it hits home. Glad to to see Mo on there as well. Around here the ideas are split. Everyone gardens but most people want convenience. Still everyone gardens so the seed has been sown, now if they would only jump on the non industrialized farm band wagon we can actually get somewhere.

Lord knows I have been converting people for a long time.

One person at a time, but we can do it. :flower:

GardenRN
Greener Thumb

Gix, I really think it's just a matter of people seeing whats happening with their own eyes. When you hear whats happening, it makes sense, and it's easier to understand. But when someone just says, "there's bad things in our food" people don't know where to look, or which foods, or who to blame or how. So they just go on and forget it.

I always end up talking to people about it. Trying not to sound like that paranoid guy that is one step short of a picket sign

Being in the health care industry, I think I run into more people who are concerned with their diet. I actually was talking with a co-worker last night that I rarely work with, my age, who was saying how he has really noticed that he just feels "crappier" after eating more processed foods. So he was trying to change his diet. So he started reading nutrition labels, and ingredient lists. But was really just finding it quite confusing. I think we talked about it for like an hour, but basically it came down to..."you know what's good for you. Forget the labels, stop over thinking it. Fruit and vegetables and meat in moderation are good. Pop tarts that say "high in fiber" are bad".

Return to “Vegetable Gardening Forum”