VAmaters
Newly Registered

Raised veggie bed but got a late start, what to plant?

I just constructed a raised bed garden and need some ideas about what to plant. 10 foot by 16 inches by about 18 inches tall. I put it on top of my yard soil without a tarp and I dug the original soil up some.
I'm in VA and it is already 101 all day. so I don't want to throw something in there and watch it die.
Are them some plants that do well planted now or should I wait? never had much luck growing from seed. I can wait if it makes more sense when it cools down but would like to get something harvested before next year.
I heard potatoes don't do well in beds, I know I don't have much room because it is narrow.
this is on the southeast fence line. my neighbor has some berry bushes so something that gets tall to get sun would get more.
what about carrots, broccoli, or something like that. but I can I buy those now already started out from somewhere?

my first post.

luvthesnapper

bush beans for sure. no broccoli, because it will bolt now. its way too hot in the east. you could still get by with tomatoes, though I would probably go with nursery plants, if they have any left. my cucumbers are doing fine, and it's been like 95. maybe try a few cucumbers too.

you can't kill herbs. oregano, basil, etc. herbs are the easiest thing to grow, if you ask me. I don't water them, keep them totally neglected, and the oregano just won't stop growing. It's 3 years old now.

jal_ut
Super Green Thumb

I second bush beans and cucumbers. I would use seed for both.

luvthesnapper

I planted a 3 x 10 patch of 90 day corn from seed 3 days ago, in a raised bed. I'm right there with you. I'm thinking it will ride right through the 80 degree september days, but we'll see.

Oh, and maybe corn. :D
Last edited by luvthesnapper on Sat Jun 30, 2012 11:44 pm, edited 1 time in total.

VAmaters
Newly Registered

thanks for the suggestions. I already have quite a few tomatoes from a plant that I have in an earthbox on the patio. I even planted a small oregano plant in my raised bed already (the only thing in there so far). just to accompany the tomatoes.
I think I will take a look tomorrow at lowes for some cucumbers. This bed is kind of in an alley so the plants can't really roam too much. I do have a fence though in case there were things that could climb up. unfortunately I don't really like beans,
corn is an option. the stuff at the supermarket is really cheap, but tastes like it too.

luvthesnapper

You don't eat green beans? Really? Have you eaten garden green beans?

VAmaters
Newly Registered

I reckon I haven't given them a fair shake. its a childhood thing.
when do people plant things like broccoli anyway?

luvthesnapper

Broccoli is cool. Figure 60-65 degrees for growing really well. You could do it as a fall crop.

VAmaters
Newly Registered

yeah. beets carrots and broccoli. guess I have time to plan for those. will be a few months until we see those temps again here. its been 101 plus lately!

luvthesnapper

Yea, those all have to wait right now. Most types of melons work in the heat, but you have to figure in the longer grow time, if you are just starting now.

rainbowgardener
Super Green Thumb

Beans, corn, squash, okra, herbs...

Return to “Vegetable Gardening Forum”