joed2323

just used seven, now having second thoughts

After a long battle with these potatoe bugs that started moving to my tomatoes, I went to the store and bought seven as a last resort...

Went out there and started dusting my potatoe plants...

Now I came inside and I started feeling bad, I only wanted to kill those darn beetles... Now I'm probably going to kill every other bug plus the good ones including earthworms...

I feel bad now, wish I didnt dust my potatoe plants like crazy... to bad I cant wash it off cuz it will just go into the ground correct???

jal_ut
Super Green Thumb

Hmmm, well I am not one to condone the use of Sevin, however at this point, I will say, just relax and let it do its thing. Yes, it will likely kill the potato bugs. That is what you wanted right? I don't know what else it might do, but I don't think you will notice much else.

gardenvt
Green Thumb

Sevin has a life of about two weeks. It might harm some of the good guys and it will surely get rid of the potato beetles. It will be out of the soil, your plants in two weeks. It is not a catastrophe.

I used Sevin on Cucumber beetles last year - they took out my squash, cusumbers and were headed for the eggplant. One use took care of the problem and I felt terrible about doing it. I chose not to grow cukes or squash this year and I haven't seen them around.

As a last resort, some of us do use products we might not feel good about but if you don't get rid of the beetles, they will enjoy many of your other crops. Some products clamin to help "control" an insect but if they get really bad - you either give them your garden or use a product you wouldn't otherwise use.

One thing to remember is that the products we purchase over the counter are not what the big farms are using. That stuff is super potent and will certainly cause problems for a long time.

It will be fine.

Return to “Vegetable Gardening Forum”