jal_ut
Super Green Thumb

Woo Hoo! Rain yesterday. I got 0.28 inch. That sure helped with the fire hazard. Something like 20 wildfires burning in the state. On June 6 I had 0.02 and prior to that, the last good rain was on May 27.

Ohio Tiller
Green Thumb

Those maps are wrong it shows us in normal or low drought!! BS we have not had rain in months and it is dry as chalk! It looks like mid August out there grass is brown trees are turning yellow. MY WATER BILL IS GIANT!

DownriverGardener

Ohio Tiller wrote:Those maps are wrong it shows us in normal or low drought!! BS we have not had rain in months and it is dry as chalk! It looks like mid August out there grass is brown trees are turning yellow. MY WATER BILL IS GIANT!
Granted they are about a week old, so by now we're probably in sever locale.

ReptileAddiction
Greener Thumb

Ohio Tiller wrote:Those maps are wrong it shows us in normal or low drought!! BS we have not had rain in months and it is dry as chalk! It looks like mid August out there grass is brown trees are turning yellow. MY WATER BILL IS GIANT!
You think yours is big? Imagine mine. 20 minute showers for 6 people daily watering the lawn for 30 minutes twice a week EVERY WEEK INCLUDING WINTer. Lol :shock:

DoubleDogFarm
Super Green Thumb

Apply the shower water to the lawn. :wink:

Eric

RogueRose
Green Thumb

We're getting a scorcher here today. I watered in the AM and will water again in the PM.

westernslope
Newly Registered

Extreme heat + extreme temperatures = extreme garden frustration out here. One thirty minute gentle shower in two months didn't do much but settle the dust for an hour. Town's irrigation source is low and pumping as much sludge as it is water making it a full time night job to keep the screen filters on sprinklers cleaned out. Tomato, pepper, and squash plants are growing but not producing much - last year this time I was buried in cherry tomatoes, last week a friend and I shared the only two that have ripened so far! Cucumbers planted in mid-May are finally getting some size but not blossoming yet; beets and carrots are laughable.
The one blessing is lettuce which I plant in with sunflowers for the birds, just shady enough to keep all varieties growing nicely. Trumpet vine, Virginnia creeper, and a bush cherry similar to choke cherry are all doing well so at least the birds are fat and happy!
Not ready to give up yet but more and more gets pulled and shredded for compost weekly with replanting what might make it to the end of our growing season.
We humans have disrespected Mother Earth for far too long; what goes around, comes around. Good luck to all...

rainbowgardener
Super Green Thumb

westernslope wrote: We humans have disrespected Mother Earth for far too long; what goes around, comes around. Good luck to all...
Well said....

Return to “Vegetable Gardening Forum”