gardenvt
Green Thumb

Basil - Genovese

I make lots of pesto for the freezer.

RogueRose
Green Thumb

I'm gonna add to my list - "Bonnie Original" Tomato - I found the tag. These are the only ones of mine that are BERing.

PunkRotten
Greener Thumb

Gardenvt - Curious why you won't grow black krim ,green zebra, and chocolate bell? Also have you tried planting cilantro in the fall? It grows really well for me during that time. But have tried growing it during Spring and summer and it bolts too fast.

dtlove129

Hmmm, well it's too early on my tomatoes to say yet. All the plants look good and all have several green fruits. I have 7 rutgers, 3 early girl, and 8 or 9 brandywines.

Again too early on my winter squashes, but they look good (butternut and spaghetti).

I'll probably do less zucchini next year because we have it coming out of our ears right now.

I know from here on out I'll do pickling cukes, because ours have turned out much better this year.

Less sweet corn next year because I'm tired of fighting the raccoons.

The only thing that I'm probably not going to grow next year is cauliflower. I haven't had much luck with it the last 2 years. It wants to bolt too early.

So I will plant in some variety:
squashes, corn, potatoes, tomatoes, peppers, carrots, carrots, lettuce, cukes, okra, broccoli.

I may not grow eggplant next year because I'm not sure how much of it we'll eat this year.

Oh and I may not grow a giant pumpkin next year because the dang thing is taking over. I bet it has 2 vines running out 15 feet each way right now.

farmerlon
Green Thumb

gumbo2176 wrote: What variety do you grow? I grow a couple different ones each year and have found that the Ichiban does real well and so does the white globe that gets between the size of a baseball and softball when ready to pick. I've had less success with the Black Beauty that you see in most markets.

I use the Ichiban and other cucumber shaped varieties for grilling and the larger ones I either fry or make casseroles out of them. ....
I've tried several Eggplant varieties through the years; but I will keep an eye out for the Ichiban that you mentioned.
I don't have any trouble growing eggplant, I just don't seem to get all that excited about eating it. :)

rainbowgardener
Super Green Thumb

"I don't have any trouble growing eggplant, I just don't seem to get all that excited about eating it."

Yeah, that shapes my list too. I don't grow eggplant because I don't like to eat it. I don't grow beets, even though I love them, because no one else in the family will eat them...

gardenvt
Green Thumb

PR, I tried growing Black Krim 3 years in a row and only once did the plant survive diseases. The tomato was too soft and tasteless compared to the others that we grew.

A friend gave us a Green Zebra plant and it had too many tomatoes - we didn't like them. We bought some from the Farmer's Market. We didn't like them. We bought some at the Health Food store and we still didn't like them. It is a matter of taste so if you like them, enjoy them. I met someone checking out at a Garden center that next year and he had a wagon full of Green Zebra - said it was the only tomato he and his wife grew. My favorite tomatoes are Sungold, Black Prince & Rose.

When you grow a pepper as delicious and productive as Carmen, it is hard for something else to compete. Truth is, the chocolate pepper just don't produce well here.

The cilantro bolts so early in the season that I hardly have a chance to use it but really like it. So, I will try the cilantro this fall when it is cooler - perhaps that is all that is needed. Thanks for the tip.

RogueRose
Green Thumb

I plant my cilantro in a planter and plant it 3-4 weeks apart. As soon as I get some true leaves on the ones I planted, I'll sow some more. This way I'll always have some cilantro.

SOB
Green Thumb

Since we seem to be on the subject of cilantro...I like to grow it more for the seed (coriander) than the cilantro leaves. So when I do plant it I use the leaves as needed and then collect and dry the coriander for use in BBQ rubs, beers I brew, etc. Toast up a little coriander, crush it and use it as a beautiful orange-y, spicy additive to just about anything!

digitS'
Super Green Thumb

Beer with coriander, I've had that! Should try to make a little more use of that herb . . . :)

I can understand not liking cilantro but, the smell of it makes me hungry. Trying to get new sowings as late in the summer as possible is challenging. Growing eggplant is challenging for me, also. I suppose that I'd otherwise put it in about the same category as potatoes. Well ;) , kind of like growing pasta.

Yes, Basil - Genovese! I've got 3 Genovese varieties this year. Still trying to decide if I want to make purple pesto . . . have been advised that the dark basils are useful dried, however.

Steve

Return to “Vegetable Gardening Forum”