gardenvt
Green Thumb

Photo of wasp & cabbage worm

Here is the photo I took yesterday. Double click for a larger view.

[img]https://i1169.photobucket.com/albums/r502/gardenvt/IMGP3700.jpg[/img]

BP

Very cool pic. I was in the garden once and was watching some small green work inch along on a bar of my trellis when a wasp landed on it and cut it's head off in a split second. The wasp flew away with the head and returned in under a minute, it cut the worm in half and flew away with half of it. It then returned and took the other half.
Generally I hate wasps, but I don't mind when they are in my garden now.

SOB
Green Thumb

Great pic!

I was sitting out back a few weeks ago reading a gardening book when a wasp came out of the strawberries by our patio. My first reaction was to shoo him away (since I'm allergic and generally don't like them around me) but then I saw a big green worm in his mouth. I watched for a good 5 minutes as he ate the worm. A couple hours later as I was telling friends about it and another wasp came out of the same strawberry patch with another big green worm!

Now I don't despise wasps as much :)

Pineygirl

Good wasp! That wretched worm got what was coming to him.

Grrr, I despise those cabbage worms & that pic really warms my heart. :D

gardenvt
Green Thumb

I was picking the cabbage worms when the wasp came out from a plant with the worm and landed on a leaf. I just happened to have my camera in the garden that morning so I was lucky to get the photo.

As soon as I took its photo, it hid the worm under the leaf and went back for more worms. Every day, it is out there checking the plants - we work well together! :D

PunkRotten
Greener Thumb

This just happened to me today. I was looking at my lemon tree and noticed some chewed leaves. After searching around I noticed these weird brown caterpillars. I started taking some off and then a wasp came by and started searching up and down. Then I seen it grab a caterpillar and started eating it.

Return to “Vegetable Gardening Forum”