cubs204

My Brandywine and Rutgers both have green tomatoes on them. The BW has significantly more but they were both planted later so they are still pretty behind my other ones. I can tell already that the BW is going to prodice some monsters as I have some that are only a week or two from pollination and are already pretty good sized. I also had a mega bloom on the BW and havent checked on it in a while to see if it pollinated. I hope it did because it was like a 3 or 4 flower bloom and that would yeild one ugly monster of a tomato. As far as the cukes go, what variety did you grow? Ill have to think about taking on some more as mine are still producing very steadily.

dtlove129

Not sure the names. I have the tags. It was 2 varieties of pickeling cukes.

ReptileAddiction
Greener Thumb

rainbowgardener wrote:
Northernfox wrote:wow well done.... I am at least 4 - 6 weeks from that kind of haul... some times I dislike living further north ;)
Sometimes I dislike living further north... I get envious all the South Carolina folks who are eating ripe tomatoes about the time I am putting my transplants in the garden. Don't know how you do it.

That's funny, Reptile... I was laughing at myself for being excited about 8 tomatoes, 2 peppers, and 1 potato... I'm a city gardener with 1/3 acre of not very arable land (steep, wooded, etc). The real gardeners with acreage would laugh at me...

The one baby potato was exciting just because I've never grown them before.
I have only harvested like 10 small peaches and about a cup of blueberries since november. My house takes up about ALL of my property so I don't have much room.

rainbowgardener
Super Green Thumb

I grow a bunch of flowers and herbs and my steep hillside is a native woodland shade plants garden, but most of the veggies I grow are in five raised beds. It's amazing what you can grow in a limited space. I grow spring, summer, and fall crops in each one. One of the raised beds is in the middle of my little patch of front lawn and one of them is a community garden plot that is not my property.

rainbowgardener
Super Green Thumb

Well, I'm thinking the 300 (or even 500!) gallons a week is what people do when they are trying to grow the county fair record giant pumpkins.

[img]https://www.pumpkinnook.com/giants/pics2005/1469checkon.jpg[/img]

If you are willing to settle for just a large pumpkin, it can probably do with less, but still they are very thirsty.

PunkRotten
Greener Thumb

How many cucumber plants or vines are you growing to get that many cukes? What variety are you growing?

dtlove129

Hopefully my 2 smaller pumpkin plants will give us a couple of jack-o-lanterns.

The cukes I'm growing are Miss Pickler Hybrid and National Pickling Cuke from here https://www.henryfields.com/category/pickling_cucumbers

I have a 25 foot row with a trelis (you can see pics in some of my posts on here), and the spacing is probably 2-2.5 feet between hills and each hills has 2 or 3 vines.

I checked this morning and they are ready to pick again, so I may put up some more tomorrow while I'm putting up green beans. Like I told my wife we can always buy more jars for salsa and peppers later when they come on. I know last night we breaded some pickle spears and baked them, and they were great!

Last night over dinner we were talking about what we were eating:
eggplant parmesian lasagna
green beans
salad
baked pickles (appetizer)

Everything came out of the garden except the lettuce because mine has bolted now. Onions in the lasagna, salad, and beans. Yellow wax and green beans. Oh there were carrots in the salad, and I haven't pulled my carrots yet (anyone know when you should pull those?)

jal_ut
Super Green Thumb

Carrots. They won't all be the same size. Just take a finger and move enough soil to see the top of the root and see how big they are. Then pull some of the larger ones and let the rest grow a while. I pulled a few the other day that were about the size of my little finger. They need more time, but I was anxious to taste carrots. They can grow all season here and just keep getting larger. I pull a few as we go along.

rainbowgardener, Wow! Nice pumpkins in your picture. I don't have the season for that kind of giant pumpkins here. My all time large one was 138 pounds. I'll bet the seed from these monsters will bring a premium price? There was some seed at my local store for $1 per seed. I bought two. We will see what comes of them.

rainbowgardener
Super Green Thumb

just an image I found on-line. Actually I think they are pretty wasteful. As far as I know, no one eats those prize-winners....

"This stuff isn't edible. The seeds, like the ones for the "991 Ureña" pumpkin, have been cross-bred for shape, not taste. " in an article about a 2011 prize winning pumpkin 1,685-pounds https://online.wsj.com/article/SB10001424052970203476804576616821015503708.html

Return to “Vegetable Gardening Forum”