SLC

What can be planted over other veggies?

So my lettuce didn't make it through the heat...I can tell it is starting to shoot up. :cry:

That sucks. Also what I wasn't expecting is that my cilantro bolted, as well as the basil. Smaller basil looks ok though. But it is going back into the 90s tomorrow and the weekend.

Peas are almost ready to be harvested, and the beans will be ready in a week or two.

So my question is, if I pull all these soon, is there anything that is fast-ish growing that can withstand the summer heat that can be planted over the same spot these just grew in? Or should I just leave it for next year?

I have two hot months to go, and then it will start to cool in September, but should be safe enough, so basically three months of growing time.

Any suggestions are welcome!

Northernfox
Greener Thumb

Raddishes grow fast. fortunately I don't have to get though the super heat of the US ;)

Good luck my friend!

klevelyn
Cool Member

cucumbers and early melons. I think the heat will make the vegetable grow quicker. They have some heat tolerant varieties so look for these.

digitS'
Super Green Thumb

Green beans are always my 1st choice for a 2nd crop. I can sow the seed almost right thru July and still harvest them before an October 1st frost. Beans germinate well in very warm soil and the cool of early fall doesn't slow them down.

I often plant summer squash between things like early cabbage and broccoli. They take up about the same amount of room and I put transplants in by July 4th. Zucchini often has a lot of mildew late in their season. I can pull the older plants in September and the ones that are 6 weeks younger and started on July 4th are still healthy and ready to produce.

The last & hottest week of July will find me out sowing snow pea seed for harvesting the pods about the 1st of October. I have even picked the snow peas on a morning when they have been covered by frost. They won't grow as tall as they did in June and they will really slow down if it starts to freeze. Still, it works for me.

Steve

jal_ut
Super Green Thumb

Bush Beans, Peas, Cucumbers, Zucchini are all in reach with 90 days left.

SLC

So just to clarify, it IS okay to plant the same item where it just was for a 2nd crop this year, but NEXT year, I should rotate items, correct?

Because in that case, I would plant a 2nd crop of beans over the first, and a 2nd crop of peas over where they were, but for the lettuce....would beets work? I don't like radishes, but I do like beets....but I don't know how fast they grow or how much room they take - would they work?

Jeremy brua

I would plant the beans over the old snow peas. don't pull the roots on the peas. I got some "green ice" lettuce from park seeds and it is doing very well in the extreme heat we are having.

gardenvt
Green Thumb

If your lettuce is bolting and isn't yet bitter, try braising it with peas. Wash and cut the lettuce into ribbons, add a bit of butter and/or evoo in the bottom of a skillet with the lettuce, add a cup or so of peas - fresh or frozen - add a bit of S&P and a TBSP of cream (if desired) when ready to serve. It takes about 10 minutes to cook and is quite tasty.

Return to “Vegetable Gardening Forum”