sheeshshe
Greener Thumb

I put in a friends garden and hers is better than mine LOL

Go figure. right? LOL her tomato plants are TWIce the size, cucumbers peppers everything, they look the size they're supposed to this time of year, mine are just so far behind still! this is her first garden ever haha. at least she's having good luck! and I gave her my smaller seedlings too LOL!!!!! and hers are still bigger and better looking than mine are. Now I sit and wonder where I went wrong. maybe I need more manure?

DoubleDogFarm
Super Green Thumb

Tell us the differences between the two plots.

Fertilzers / mulches
Watering

Eric

sheeshshe
Greener Thumb

Both are full sun

hers:
new garden loam that we put in, I built her raised boxes and then shoveled all the garden loam. I tell ya, I did the work and she gets the nice plants HAHA.
I honestly don't know how often she waters hers? But, we've had a lot of rain and we really haven't needed to water at all. (IMO)
garden loam has 20% compost in it.

Mine:
one side has the same garden loam, but I used it last year and had stuff plantd in it. the other side is my sandy loam which is usually on the acid side, so I put in lime again. most things have a side dressing of goat manure. I sprayed fish fertilizer on them once.

All I can think of is they're not getting enough nutrients?

sheeshshe
Greener Thumb

Ya know, I completely forgot that I have some earth worm compost going on. I just checked, and it finally looks finished! I can use all those castings! Should I do a tea first and also put it around the plants?

cynthia_h
Super Green Thumb

What about your acid soil and acid water? What are her conditions in this regard?

Cynthia H.
Sunset Zone 17, USDA Zone 9

luvthesnapper

Should I do a tea first and also put it around the plants?
Both. Top dress, then water it in with tea.

sheeshshe
Greener Thumb

cynthia_h wrote:What about your acid soil and acid water? What are her conditions in this regard?

Cynthia H.
Sunset Zone 17, USDA Zone 9
I applied adequate lime, and I've been pretreating the water with oyster shells before I water.

She purchased the soil, so that is pH balanced. No idea on her water though.

GardenRN
Greener Thumb

Things on her side:

*Beginner's luck
*Probably a less diverse crop than yours
*More limited garden knowledge limits your friend's tendency to "baby" everything

Things working against you

*You spent a good bit of time on that person's garden that you could have spent tending to yours.
*More garden knowledge can make you over think everything you do.
*When you set up someone else's garden, you usually don't take some of the short-cuts you allow yourself to take in your own.

This is just how things go. The exact same thing happened to me with a friend. BUT, I also realized that when we built his garden, I did everything "by the book". So it's no wonder his looks better than mine. He also only has about 5 or 6 different veggies whereas I am tending to 45 different ones.

barnhardt9999

My local paper ran a re-hashed tomato growing article from the AP. It said use lime in your holes. Everyone around here that went by that has had a miserable harvest. What made you decide to put lime in your soil?

Northernfox
Greener Thumb

Oh My Gosh I did the same with my Mother in Law and Sister in Law and theirs is doing crazy good. mine is a lot behind in some things and ahead in others. still drives me nutz. Good luck ;)

sheeshshe
Greener Thumb

barnhardt9999 wrote:My local paper ran a re-hashed tomato growing article from the AP. It said use lime in your holes. Everyone around here that went by that has had a miserable harvest. What made you decide to put lime in your soil?
I have acidic soil.. blueberries grow wild on my land. My water pH is 5.2.

Last year I had some stuff in the new garden loam (same stuff I put in my friends garden) and other stuff in my regular soil (which I add stuff to each year) and all the stuff in the garden loam I had brought in went NUTS and grew as it should, while the other stuff just suffered like it usually does. Either my soil fertility isn't good or the pH isn't good.

That is interesting about the lime in the tomato holes. I wonder if I don't have enough lime or if I have too much lime. I know some places had more than others, and some plants are doing better than others. Makes me wonder if it is indeed a pH thing still.

I do have some things in the garden loam from last year and those things aren't doing any better though. I did give them some goat manure. Perhaps things just don't have enough manure?

sheeshshe
Greener Thumb

even my summer squash looks tiny. it has buds on it, but the plant itself is no bigger than 1 foot in diameter. I have 4 of them.

rainbowgardener
Super Green Thumb

Given all the issues your garden has had, you really need to be testing your soil and water pH! Sounds like you keep trying to GUESS, did I use enough lime, too much lime, etc. If you were pH testing you would know.

Your puny plants sound like not enough nutrients. But if the soil is still acidic, that can be the cause. There can be plenty of nutrients in the soil, but if it is acidic, it "locks up" the nutrients so they are not available to the plants. So you need to know what is going on, to know what to do.

Get a good pH meter or soil test kit.

sheeshshe
Greener Thumb

The pH meter... is that something that I can get the results right at home and not have to send it in? Because yeah, I;d love to test stuff, but not have to send it in. Plus, I know I didn't spread the lime evenly, so I'd have to test each spot basically

do you have a meter you recommend? or test kits?

rainbowgardener
Super Green Thumb

Yes, a meter has probes that you stick in the ground, leave for a couple minutes and then see what it reads. And yes, you could easily test around every plant.

Depending on how expensive a meter you get, people say they are not always accurate. But you know what your water and native soil pH are, so you could calibrate against that.

jal_ut
Super Green Thumb

Yes, a ph meter first to see where the ph is. Lime can be a detriment if it is not needed.

If you find that your ph is OK, then you need to give it some fertilizer. Get some 16-16-16 if you can find it and give your plants a treat. Careful, don't over do it.

My soil has plenty of potassium and phosphorous, so I just boost the nitrogen with some urea that is 46-0-0. It doesn't take much of that to make a big difference in the growth of the plants.

If you are going to add lime, you should try to spread it uniformly on the whole area. The plant roots go everywhere so the whole area needs to be at the right ph.

Plant roots will go quite deep, so they do indeed go into the soil that your raised beds sit on, and will also likely go out into the soil surrounding the raised beds. Did you put a barrier? I think a barrier is a bad thing. What is your natural soil there like? Test its ph too when you get your meter.

sheeshshe
Greener Thumb

thanks!

Most of the garden is not raised beds, I only have a couple. some areas I sprinkled the lime everywhere and some I put in the places that it went. The natural soil here is acidic. I have wild blueberries all over the place. :) we can't grow grass, etc.

as for the pH meter, I can't afford much so I am going to try and get a cheap one and follow the persons directions of using steel wool to clean it between uses. I hope it'll work. because I can't afford a good one :( I need to figure out how to though. Unless I get a thing that measures the nutrients too... I should probably get that right?

so if I need more lime, should I also put the lime on the outside of my garden as well?

sheeshshe
Greener Thumb

Oh and also... I have a few volunteer tomato plants that rooted themselves in the hay bales around the raised beds I put in last year. those are doing awesome! Which I would have thought they wouldn't be doing that great, but they've caught up to all the ones I grew from seeds. so something is definitely going funky.

sheeshshe
Greener Thumb

I put some worm castings tea on them this morning and I swear they grew today LOL. I gave them some seaweed tea tonight. perhaps this will give them a kickstart. And I am going to get more manure this week.

I will order a pH test kit though :)

Return to “Vegetable Gardening Forum”