dtlove129

Oh just so info for you guys so you understand the impact of this on farmers and us in the future. I live in Central IL and on our news last night they had a ag special. The guy they interviewed said our news viewing area is the 5th largest producer of corn. a 10% reduction in yield will be worth 650 million dollars against the economy assuming corn is selling at $6.50 (the number he used). That is just in this area if there is a 10% less yield this year.

He said that it will effect things like the price of chicken, beef, etc because of grain feed. He did say you shouldn't see the price of cereal or things like that change. So I guess everyone better quit eating meat and go to cereal because I'm going to guess it will be worse than 10%.

greenstubbs

Here whereI am it's in the 90's and higher with NO cloud cover or humidity. I have beenknown to flood my mater's, cucks, peppers twice a day as they are in pots. Never grown corn so I can't give you a answer. My melons, squash and other ground plants I H20 as needed, they'll let you know. I do the localized flooding approach, turn it on and flood the area! As needed, I even have to pitch some shade as they wilt from heat and sun. hope this helps.

RogueRose
Green Thumb

I take my cue from the plants. If they are wilty, I'll water them. If they look fine, I won't water them.

Return to “Vegetable Gardening Forum”