dtlove129

Fall crop

Are many of you planting a fall crop this year? I was going to do some lettuce, cabbage, broccoli and cauliflower.

I may still put out a little section of lettuce, but I don't think I'm going to grow anything else. This weather is just too awful, and I guarantee we'll be put on a water shortage soon. I know last year at the end of the summer we were put on one, and you could only water new plants so often and couldn't wash your car, etc. Last year we actually had some rain in the spring and it was around this time of year when it quit raining for us.

This year we have pretty much been dry the whole time except for a few showers early.

jal_ut
Super Green Thumb

I want to plant some more peas for a fall crop. Gotta do it soon.

Ohio Tiller
Green Thumb

Yep I have the seeds ready. Like you I am worried about the NO RAIN but I can always water. I am doing lettuce, purple cabbage, broccoli and Brussels sprouts.

cubs204

The fear of a water restriction and the 106 temp today are why I gave my garden a real, real good soaking last night. I think I might try and get another set of beans in the ground this weekend, but other than that I don't think I am going to have any fall crops this year.

loveykatie

I hate to sound dumb, but why would you be planting a fall crop of lettuce now? It's still summer.

How does that work?
Do certain vegetables need to be planted now in order to have production into the fall?

SPierce
Greener Thumb

Spinach and another extra crop of potatoes here for me- hopefully@!

dtlove129

I probably wasn't going to do it just yet Katie. I was thinking more around the middle of next month or end of next month, but I would need to start my cauliflower and broccoli soon to have plants.

I have all the seeds for everything, but may hang onto them.

hendi_alex
Super Green Thumb

My late summer and fall garden is really just an extension of the spring/summer garden. We will be growing: tomatoes, cucumbers, zucchini, squash, peppers, green beans, egg plant, and perhaps a few other things. Our fall/winter garden will have garlic, kale, Swiss chard, arugula, lettuce, cabbage, parsley, cilantro, collards, broccoli, and perhaps kohlrabi.

ReptileAddiction
Greener Thumb

I will have lettuce and peas and some maters and then my new crop of blue berries will come in :lol:

RogueRose
Green Thumb

I'd like to do some fall lettuce. I tried to put in some arugula in some pots a few weeks ago. It is *not* happy. I miss arugula. And the store-bought stuff is just not the same. :(

DownriverGardener

I planted some eggplant and cabbage last week, expecting a fall harvest.

jal_ut
Super Green Thumb

I hate to sound dumb, but why would you be planting a fall crop of lettuce now? It's still summer.

How does that work?
Do certain vegetables need to be planted now in order to have production into the fall?
The growing season is not forever in most areas of our country. If you want a fall harvest, you have to plant early enough for the crop to mature before killing frost. For me that means plant July 4 at the very latest for a second crop of peas.

It is unfortunate that to get a late crop of lettuce I have to plant in the hot part of summer. It will not always germinate then. If lightly mulched and watered every day, it may come. The problem is keeping some moisture on it since it can't be planted very deep. If it dries out, the seedling dies.

Peas and beans have larger seeds, so can be planted deeper and it is easier to keep the ground damp at the greater depth. Both of these make a good late crop, but it is time to be planting them now in my area. Yes, the temperatures are going into the 90s every day now. Seeds germinate fast in warm weather, but be sure to keep them damp.

I have some corn planted a week ago that is just now emerging. It should make a crop about the third week of September. (Hoping) One never knows when the first frost will come.

Radishes come on fast and can be planted all season here if kept damp. If you let them dry out they will bolt. I was just thinking about planting some more radishes where some early lettuce just came off.

OK, just some ideas. Hope this helps.

bcallaha
Cool Member

I'll be planting Brussel Sprouts, Brocolli, some peas and maybe some green beans if we don't have enough canned on the spring planting.

Brad

Return to “Vegetable Gardening Forum”