Bobberman
Super Green Thumb

Dry weather great for weed control and muching!

I just cultivated between my rows that were loaded with one to two inch weeds. The very dry soil was easy to hoe through the small weeds. The dry scraped ground kills the weeds fast. Now I put the mulch of pine chips between the rows and stop the new weeds. I like to do this knowing no rain for several days after I cultivate or scrape the soil surface of the rows! I may have to do it again in a month but it seems to be working. Last year there were so many weeds I could not control them.

DoubleDogFarm
Super Green Thumb

Bobberman wrote:I just cultivated between my rows that were loaded with one to two inch weeds. The very dry soil was easy to hoe through the small weeds. The dry scraped ground kills the weeds fast. Now I put the mulch of pine chips between the rows and stop the new weeds. I like to do this knowing no rain for several days after I cultivate or scrape the soil surface of the rows! I may have to do it again in a month but it seems to be working. Last year there were so many weeds I could not control them.
I like it Bobberman.
For aisle weed control I would add cardboard then your pine chips.

Eric

Bobberman
Super Green Thumb

Ya. cardboard is cheap and after a rain there will be worms under it! Another thing I like about pine chips is t deters snails because it is sharp for them. I guess a little sand would also be good. I do have alot of news papper also!. A bag of pine wood chips or flakes from tractor supply cost about $6 for a pretty nice size bag that will do 5 - 40 foot rows!

DoubleDogFarm
Super Green Thumb

I keep trying to get the tree service company to dump their chips at my place.

Cardboard is free. Everytime I go into town for repair parts, I try to come home with cardboard.

Eric

Return to “Vegetable Gardening Forum”