sheeshshe
Greener Thumb

Squash stem splitting? and a SVB question

One of my summer squash's stem has split on the underside of the stem near the ground, what causes this? and is it a bad thing?

Also, my plants are very far behind this year because of weather... they are rather small, and I already found squash vine borer eggs on anything of size. Found a few on all my squash, some of the pumpkins, and some of the cucumbers even. I never got them on the cucumbers before, but apparently since the plants are so small, they didn't have enough places to put the eggs haha. The question is, how often do they lay eggs? Do they do it all summer long? do I need to look at each stem/leaf daily for the rest of the summer? The plants are SOOO small, if they hatch and get in, I won't get a single thing from these plants :(

gixxerific
Super Green Thumb

To answer both parts it sounds like SVB has gotten a hold of your split stems. Are they somewhat shredded with frass laying around them. Normally this is SVB damage.

Good luck.

I didn't plant anything like that this year, well untill just recently. I have had such bad problems with SVB and the other pest that go along with these types of plants I thought I would give it a break for a while.

sheeshshe
Greener Thumb

It doesn't look like SVB damage. there is no frass either... should I take a picture?

gixxerific
Super Green Thumb

A pic wouldn't hurt, but per your description it' just sounded like SVB to me.

sheeshshe
Greener Thumb

[img]https://i223.photobucket.com/albums/dd229/sheeshshe/002.jpg[/img]

gixxerific
Super Green Thumb

I see, defenitely not SVB.

I have seen this before it could be from stress: wind, over-under watering, extreme temp changes.

IT's not the best thing to happen to your plants but it should make it thorugh this barring the fact that you have already seen the SVB. You may want to collar them up to keep them at bay. I was always too lazy and guess what, my plant went to the compost quickly

sheeshshe
Greener Thumb

I already put foil around the stems hehehe.

do you think the moth will come back around and lay more eggs?

PhillyGardener

Could this be SVB damage, or is it something else? I've never seen it before, but it looks similar to photos out there:

[img]https://i356.photobucket.com/albums/oo9/abnormalsanon2/IMAG0006.jpg[/img]

sheeshshe
Greener Thumb

:( that looks like SVB damage to me. I think I see the frass.. frass meaning, the stuff that looks like crumbs coming out of the holes.

Return to “Vegetable Gardening Forum”