SLC

Corn has a second shoot?

A few of my sweet corn stalks have started to grow a second stalk. It looks like 2 seeds were planted right next to each other, but they weren't. This did not happen to me last year. What should I do? Is this a bad thing? Will it hinder the original stalk from producing? Should I remove them? The plants are about 2 1/2 feet tall so far. This is happening to 3 out of my 12 plants. I can post a pic if that's easier.

GardenRN
Greener Thumb

This came up in a thread not too long ago. I have never had one do that, but Jal-UT has. He said he just leaves them and it doesn't seem to matter. Since it turned out ok for him I"d leave it. No sense wounding a plant if its not necessary.

DoubleDogFarm
Super Green Thumb

[quote]Tillers on Normal Plants

Most agronomists agree that tiller development in field corn represents a signal that growing conditions are quite favorable, with ample available levels of nutrients, water, or sunlight. Such favorable growing conditions may exist simply due to favorable weather conditions or because the field’s plant population is low relative to the yield potential of the field. With favorable growing conditions, the corn plant has ample energy and nutrients to “investâ€

Jeremy brua

My dad always told me to leave them.....so I do.

jal_ut
Super Green Thumb

Tillers. Usually two off shoots from the base of the main plant. They may or may not have ears on them, however you have to agree they do have leaves that will synthesize food for the benefit of the total plant. Just leave them. It is a sign that the plant is doing well and has plenty of sunlight and soil fertility.

SLC

Wow, thank you so much for your replies. I had been searching for info on the internet, but didn't know what they were called, so that's why I couldn't find it! I knew you guys would know! This place is the best!

Return to “Vegetable Gardening Forum”