nancygene

brussel srpout question

Last year I planted brussel sprouts and, while they grew nicely, the brussel sprouts were small - about the size of marbles. I am wondering what I can do this year to produce a better crop? Also, I have read that the bottom leaves should be cut off. When do I cut them? Lastly, I also read that they like boron, but I am not sure how to get more boron to them? As always, your help is most appreciated.

SPierce
Greener Thumb

Not sure the answer to the last two- but when did you plant last year? They really do take a long time to mature, and this year I planted 3 months earlier than I did last year- they're already bigger, but no small sprouts yet! I'll probably be leaving them in the ground until end of october/nov unless there are sprouts ready earlier. Have you planted yours yet?

Ruffsta
Green Thumb

i have 4 plants.. they are growing nicely, but still no sign of sprouts just yet. i haven't removed any bottom leaves - but they are growing just fine to me without me touching them.
I am proudly CROWDFUNDING to open my own bistro: Devil's Cut Bistro

nancygene

They were planted in late April or early May. They are doing nicely, although no veggie on them yet. I sure hope they do well this year because I love them and I am hoping to get enough to freeze. They are just too expensive at the store.

Ohio Tiller
Green Thumb

You will not see any to harvest untill late fall. They do take a long time when planted in the spring. I harvest mine late oct early Nov. it seams like they need a frost on them to really kick the sprouts in gear to grow. I will plant some here next week in the garlic area and will pick them in the late late fall. I have had to brush snow off of them before to pick. I had one small plant that just was not doing anything and I just forgot about it last fall. I went out by the garden in Jan and here that little thing was just full of nice big sprouts. It had fallen over but was just packed with them.

gardenvt
Green Thumb

You should remove leaves from the bottom as the sprouts grow. Also, remove the top of the plant in mid-late September and the plant will put its energy into growing bigger sprouts.

btrowe1

I've been growing sprouts for the last 5 years,I usually have 10 to 12 plants. what ohiotiller and gardenvt say is true, they take a long time to grow to full maturity.The first few frosts really sweeten them up. I usually begin eating mine at Thanksgiving and Christmas. I think you can leave them on longer but I never have, well they don't make it any longer as they get all eaten up.. .

Last years crop grew to just over 4' tall each. With lots of sprouts, Some marble size some 50cent size,

I give them away at Thanksgiving, ( I let family and friends pick a plant)

Just keep fertlizing as the season goes on (this gets hard as its usually the only thing left in the garden) and don't get discouraged.

Mine now are just about 2' tall and are showing sprouts, I planted mine in early April, The way the winter was I probably could have planted them in March.

Good luck and enjoy in the fall..

nancygene

thanks for comments on brussel sprouts

Thanks to all that posted comments/suggestions to me on my Brussels sprouts. I will follow your advice and hope for a beautiful supply of tasty sprouts. Thanks again.

Return to “Vegetable Gardening Forum”