nancygene

Pepper plants have first blooms

My sweet pepper plants are doing quite nicely and have blooms on them. One plant has two small peppers on it. I am wondering if I should pick the first blooms off? I thought I read somewhere that this will help to produce better peppers. Your help and insight is greatly appreciated.

RogueRose
Green Thumb

Keep them on! Nature knows best.

SPierce
Greener Thumb

Getting first blooms here as well, I'm leaving all of mine on. I'm much happier getting early peppers this year, as opposed to no peppers at all! The plants are small, but strong. They can handle it :)

IndyGerdener
Green Thumb

I took the first 2 sets of blooms off. I now have 2.5' pepper plants with loads of peppers on them
16 peppers in this 1 shot

RogueRose
Green Thumb

I kept mine on...and have more peppers than I know what to do with on my hot peppers. My sweet peppers are growing real slow. I just realized too late though that the planter they're in has NO drainage. I imagine that has a lot to do with it.

nancygene

Ok. I will leave the buds on. I am very proud of them, though, because they were all started indoors, as were my tomato plants. Both are doing very well this year. I guess being laid off from work and spending more time on the garden this year will really pay off.

Return to “Vegetable Gardening Forum”