OROZCONLECHE
Green Thumb

Watermelon Never Grows

I planted about 2 - 3 Gray watermelons and as they came up and put out there 2 first true leaves it just stoped growing its been 2 months and its still in its 2 leaves, I water it, I fertilized it and I even put mulched around it but still nothing?

MaryDel

Watermelons like warm well drained soil, and you should never fertilize them until each plant has set several nice melons.

rainbowgardener
Super Green Thumb

But I can't imagine that fertilizing, unless you really overdid it with synthetic fertilizer would stop it from growing, and I'm guessing being in Southern Calif that your soil was warm when you planted.

So it's a mystery. But I would quit trying to tend something that is doing nothing. Pull them and start over fresh. My guess is when you pull them you will find something happened to the roots. Either it never rooted into the soil around them, something ate the roots, or it got over watered and the roots rotted or something... Typically when the plant isn't growing, it is because it for some reason doesn't have enough root system to support it.

Dig them up, see if you can tell what happened and start over. If they haven't done anything in two months, they aren't going to. Lucky you in SoCal you have plenty of time in your season to start again.

PunkRotten
Greener Thumb

Make sure they have lots of sun too.

jal_ut
Super Green Thumb

Where are they planted? I don't think watermelons do well in any kind of pot. Plant them in the ground where they will grow for the season and they will do better. They don't like their roots messed with and they have an unbelievably large root system when grown in the ground. Yes, full sun and water as needed. As suggested, I would start over.

OROZCONLECHE
Green Thumb

Ill Dig Them back up, They are in the Ground and in full sun about 10Hours of Sunlight No synthetic ferts just fish Fertilizer but only used once

rainbowgardener
Super Green Thumb

So, sounds like you did everything right. Let us know what you find when you look at the roots....

Return to “Vegetable Gardening Forum”