SPierce
Greener Thumb

Aughhhh potato beetles!

Sorry, just have to rant. My potatoes were doing so lovely and well- I've been squashing all the potato beetles I see on them, but this morning the influx of larvae started, and they're taking over everything :( I'm picking the infected leaves off and throwing them into a closed trash can, but is there anything else I can do ? I'd rather let that container of potato plants go a bit longer, even if they are starting to die off some!

rainbowgardener
Super Green Thumb

Sorry you never got any response. How's it going? What did you do?

Here's a nice little article on potato beetle control:

https://www.organicgardening.com/learn-and-grow/potato-beetle-control

Doesn't help for now, but for next year, I thought this part at the end was really interesting:

Surrounding your potato patch with a plastic-lined, V-shaped trench can also reduce the number of adults that reach your plants in spring. As they emerge from the soil and head for the plants, they fall into the trench and can't get out. Destroy them.

SPierce
Greener Thumb

Actually, for some strange reason, they all sort of went away! I picked the leaves they were munching on, with the larvae, and through them away. Also continued to squish the hell out of any adults I had seed.

The potato plants are drying - but it's of the normal "dying off" type. Not of the "omg, these bugs suck!" type.

Thankfully! I still have 2 containers of potatoes left after this one, so I'm trying to keep an eye out on those too.

Return to “Vegetable Gardening Forum”