luvthesnapper

Garden Decimated By Pop-up Thunderstorm

My garden was literally flattened today by 70 mph winds. No pics this time around. I'm too bothered by it.

I have a bunch of tomato plants that got their main stems broke, but aren't completely detached. Should I just take the weight off the break area by tying them back up, and just see if they survive?

ReptileAddiction
Greener Thumb

I imagine that they will survive. Next time something like that is predicted I would cover them up some how if that is even possible.

gumbo2176
Super Green Thumb

Re: Garden Decimated By Pop-up Thunderstorm

luvthesnapper wrote:My garden was literally flattened today by 70 mph winds. No pics this time around. I'm too bothered by it.

I have a bunch of tomato plants that got their main stems broke, but aren't completely detached. Should I just take the weight off the break area by tying them back up, and just see if they survive?
I know exactly how you feel. About 10 years ago we had a late night hail storm pass through our area in late fall. I had about 18 tomato plants with most of the fruit just starting to ripen, along with many of the cool weather crops producing and it flattened everything in the garden. The storm even defoliated all my trees and punctured about 30 holes in my slate roof. I won't even go into what it did to my cars in the driveway. :( :(

gixxerific
Super Green Thumb

Some people prop up broken tomato with braces at the break point. ANything will do, I have done this myself. Tomatoes are very resiliant. They will more than likely be stunted but may produce a crop yet.

Good luck.

DownriverGardener

sorry to hear. Oh the things we cannot control - mother nature must show us who is in control from time to time.

I'd try everything to salvage anything personally. Hope your plants bounce back!

luvthesnapper

Sigh. Yea, I just tied everything back up, but all the tomatoes have serious damage. 10 of my peppers were torn in half, and my bush beans were just stripped down to some sticks sticking out of the ground.

Looks like 12 pepper plants will make it, the lima beans with no lima beans in them, and I'll have to see about the tomatoes.

I have a fulvic/humic/kelp/amino acid blend I'm going to spray them lightly with tonight. Maybe it will take some of the stress off.

orgoveg
Green Thumb

Real sorry to hear that. Folks who don't garden wouldn't get the way that just takes the wind out of your sails.

I guess this would be a good time for experiments. Wrapping the breaks in the stems with something? Take all the fruits off to relieve stress and see if more blooms appear?

joed2323

If were not fighting frost its the big storms that always seem to sneak up and make you realize how much we all value our gardens.

Last year a freak storm came out of nowhere and blew all my corn down and my tomatoes also took a beating... i know exactly how you feel... my garden is like another child to me, i will defend my garden at all costs....

Like the others have mentioned tie up where the tomatoe branches have broke and hope for the best..

ReptileAddiction
Greener Thumb

That must suck. I personally have no idea what that is like though. Where I live a bad storm is rain. I have been in bad weather in Chicago though. I was in the basement of a 300-400 year old house during a tornado. :shock:

Brown Thumbs

We had that happen years ago too. That's when I started using tomato cages and metal fence posts. I used to drive the post about 1 foot from the base of the tomato, set my cage over them, and tie the cage to the post. I never had one blow over after that. :wink:
Brown Thumbs

Zone 8

jal_ut
Super Green Thumb

Aw, too bad. I have had the same experiences at times. Planting a garden is always a gamble, but usually it will have a positive outcome. At least for me the successes far exceed the disasters. Sometimes the plants will spring back after getting decimated by a bad storm. Just give it some time and see if it will. The plants still have the desire to make seed.
Gardening at 5000 feet elevation, zone 4/5 Northern Utah, Frost free from May 25 to September 8 +/-

mattie g
Green Thumb

I'd imagine they'll do whatever they can to make a comeback.

I had a tomato last year whose main stem snapped - I thought it was a goner. But after getting some advice here on HG, I wrapped the break with duct tape and tied the stem solidly to my lattice fence. After a week or so, new growth started popping up at the growing tip of the plant.

This tells you two things:

1) Tomatoes are resilient
2) Duct tape is awesome

luvthesnapper

Haha I already ducked taped 3 of the 10. I only did a few to see if it infects the broken area, or helps. The rest I just tied real well.

Got a present from a fellow gardener, who heard about my beans. This trashbag is about how much beans I would have harvested for the rest of the current crop anyway, so I made out ok. That's probably a 5 gallon bucket of beans. It's alot. Plus a few zucchini.

[img]https://i223.photobucket.com/albums/dd154/tonytwotime_2007/Garden%20Pics/SN852215.jpg[/img]

[img]https://i223.photobucket.com/albums/dd154/tonytwotime_2007/Garden%20Pics/SN852216.jpg[/img]

RogueRose
Green Thumb

I know how you feel! I had that hurricane blow through here last year and it pretty much decimated my garden. Thankfully it was more or less towards the end, but it still flattened quite a bit. There were some recent winds that I've had lately that have been doing a number on my corn. :(

Return to “Vegetable Gardening Forum”