countrycharmer
Newly Registered

mildew of peat pots

This is my first year for starting plants indoors. I have started tomatoes and peppers in styrofoam self watering units. My problem is I started melons and zucchinni in 4" peat pots. I have kept them moist and continually check moisture level. After 2 weeks I have a mildew forming on the peat pots. They are in a room in the gargae with temp control. I thought maybe I have them to close together and am not getting enough air flow. Please someone help before it is to late if it isn't already.

Jess
Greener Thumb

Hi countrycharmer :)

Don't panic!! This is completely normal. They are just starting to breakdown which is the whole point of using them. Once the seedlings are large enough they can be planted out or potted on in the peat pots which means no root disturbance and a far happier plant.

countrycharmer
Newly Registered

Thank Jess
I was panicking too. Being the first time I have been very please with all but one plant germinating out of 96. My wife thinks I am crazy for spending the money on lights and the such. She doesn't understand the seeds available are different than what you can buy in plants. Also there is great satisfaction in starting from seed. Thanks again I feel stupid now but I guess we have all been there sometime or another.

Jess
Greener Thumb

countrycharmer wrote:Thank Jess
I was panicking too. Being the first time I have been very please with all but one plant germinating out of 96. My wife thinks I am crazy for spending the money on lights and the such. She doesn't understand the seeds available are different than what you can buy in plants. Also there is great satisfaction in starting from seed. Thanks again I feel stupid now but I guess we have all been there sometime or another.
I could probably write a book about all the mistakes I have made over the years (and still make!) so don't feel stupid we have all been there. I remember the first time I bought a plant from a nursery I spent hours picking out all the slow release food pellets in the compost because I thought they were eggs of some pest or other!! :lol:

Return to “Vegetable Gardening Forum”