DonnaH123
Newly Registered

Melon and squash reduction

I have about 5-6 plants each with melons and squash. They each have about 5-7 fruits on them and look terrific. I've been so excited until I just read a post that made me think I should (have) reduced the numbers of fruit produced. Should I have removed some of those from the bush earlier and should I still? The melons are up to the size of a small football. The squash are still in the early stages (or they were last I checked!). I'd rather have 3 great melons than 6 fair ones. Should I take flowers off the squash?

I did reduce my squash seedlings (when they were huge)...I couldn't stand to pluck them so I transplanted them and surprisingly they are doing pretty good so far. I'll be happy if they make it. I learned my lesson about planting more than I can grow! It is too heartbreaking.

Thanks again for the advice everyone,
Donna

DoubleDogFarm
Super Green Thumb

Donna,

Welcome.

I have no experience with melons. We don't have the heat units.

What kind of squash are you growing. I grow mostly winter varieties and they mature 4 to 7 fruits per plant. The bigger varieties like Hubbard may only produce 2 or 3.

Eric

jal_ut
Super Green Thumb

People who are going for a huge pumpkin will wait until the vine has one nice fruit set on then pick all others so all the plants energy goes into the one fruit. You can do likewise if you want large fruit on any squash or melon. I never bother, just let them grow what they will.

rainbowgardener
Super Green Thumb

Whatever you are doing sounds like it is working really well! Why mess with success? :)

DonnaH123
Newly Registered

I think I have several types of squash out there. I'll have to go see what I find but I'm not sure I can tell one from the next. Every year I say that I'm going to keep better track of what I'm planting but it is always a surprise to see what comes up :o I'm sure that makes some of you pros cringe. I do agree, maybe I'll just leave them alone and if I find that there are any that aren't doing so well, I'll take them off.

Return to “Vegetable Gardening Forum”