Jeremy brua

TPS question?

I didnt want to mess up such a good thread with my question.

Couls someone "dumb it down" for me? There is a lot of info on there but I'm a little simple. :shock: I am interested in trying it out. My dad get them on some of his plants but we have never done anything with them.

DoubleDogFarm
Super Green Thumb

Take a look at this video. Hope it helps

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gXYQ0Y8Fnjs

Eric

DoubleDogFarm
Super Green Thumb

Here is Tom Wagner

https://tatermaterseeds.com/2010/09/30/tom-wagner-pedigree-information/

Eric

Jeremy brua

Will you get full sized potatos from planting the seeds or do you only get small seed potatos?

DoubleDogFarm
Super Green Thumb

This is my first year with TSP. What I believed to have read is they will be smaller. Then you plant out the desirable tubers and they should produce a larger size. :?: Not sure about this, because planting tubers is cloning.

Eric

Jeremy brua

Thats how I was reading it.

Now, if I have all of the same kind of potatos (russit) planted and they produce berries. The plant from those seeds will be the russits? Not somthing else?

DoubleDogFarm
Super Green Thumb

Jeremy brua wrote:Thats how I was reading it.

Now, if I have all of the same kind of potatoes (russet) planted and they produce berries. The plant from those seeds will be the russets? Not something else?
Yes, I think so, but not the same as the mother plant. I have to read more and understand the Triploid, Duploid. 48 chromosomes blah blah blah. :?

Eric

soil
Greener Thumb

The first year you get a small version of what will be planted and produce the following year. The reason it won't also make small potatoes is simple, the first year TPS is not fully mature. So it has not reached it's full-size potential. You also may not get those giant spuds the second year either. Chances are you'll get good eaters though.

Now as to them growing true to seed chances are you will get 2-5 different types of potatoes. All most likely showing traits of the parent. Some won't be as good. Others will probably be excellent. Select for the best producing, most disease tolerant, and of course the best tasting. You can even go as far as sending samples in to see which are the most nutritious.

Hope that helps

Return to “Vegetable Gardening Forum”