dtlove129

So far ahead this year

So last night we were putting up some green beans. I knew we were ahead in growing this year, but didn't realize how far until I was putting the beans in the freezer and looked at the date on the beans we froze last year. 7/14. I know I planted 1 week earlier than I did last year, but things are growing so much faster.
John
2nd year gardner

rainbowgardener
Super Green Thumb

Yup, very early season. Mild winter, early spring warm up, everything happening very fast. I have lots of things blooming well ahead of schedule.
Twitter account I manage for local Sierra Club: https://twitter.com/CherokeeGroupSC Facebook page I manage for them: https://www.facebook.com/groups/65310596576/ Come and find me and lots of great information, inspiration

btrowe1

way far ahead for sure, I have cukes on the vine now, I picked my first banana pepper yesterday, maters on the vines, never been like this before.. strange,
time to think of what i can plant in place of things after they finish.. Time to learn something new this year..

mattie g
Green Thumb

For my own garden, I don't think I'm too terribly far ahead this year. I did plant about four weeks earlier this year (mid-April v. mid-May), but the plants were definitely smaller than last year's when they went in the ground. I'd say I'm about a 10 days ahead on tomatoes, but my peppers aren't ahead at all. In fact, my bells are probably behind, while my jalapenos and serranos are perhaps just a bit ahead. Basil's doing really well, but again not much ahead of last year. My cukes have taken off though - really busted out in just the past week.

I think the main reason I disn't get a huge jump on last year is because of the relatively small plant sizes at planting time, and the fairly cool weather we had for a couple weeks after transplant. Despite the very warm winter, temps haven't been too much above normal since April, so there wasn't much in the way of faster growth until we got into May.

dtlove129

Yeah I put up 6 quarts of pickles on Saturday and picked another probably 4 quarts this morning to put up. I'm pretty sure that I didn't put up pickles until after the 4th last year.

As mentioned froze some beans already and will pick more in the morning. Should have roasting ears of corn by the upcoming weekend or the 4th of July and my corn (what wasn't eaten by coons last year) I didn't pick until middle to end of July. Maters, just waiting on them to turn red. I'm sure there are some fryers on there now. Pepper plants look smaller than last year, but my fruit is ahead on each plant for sure. Have already dug some potatoes, and will probably be cleaning up the potato rows soon.

Spaghetti squash is the size of footballs right now. First time growing them and butternut squash so I can't compare them to last year. I have also picked zucchini til I'm sick haha.
John
2nd year gardner

DownriverGardener

btrowe1 wrote:way far ahead for sure, I have cukes on the vine now, I picked my first banana pepper yesterday, maters on the vines, never been like this before.. strange,
time to think of what i can plant in place of things after they finish.. Time to learn something new this year..
This is similar to what I did this year.

I planted a few vegetables and melons later this year. I did a whole lot of planting at the end of April, then at the middle of June. Everything I planted in late April looks GREAT right now, so Hoping for a steady harvest until October :D

This might be an example of a very rare growing year. I have a feeling next spring/summer is going to be extremely damp, since winter/spr/summ. around here have been very dry. All in an effort for mother nature to balance herself out.

ReptileAddiction
Greener Thumb

I have a feeling that nothing will change here in southern california next year. We can grow basically whatever whenever. Gardening does NOT take planning where I live unless you want your pumpkins at halloween instead of Christmas :oops:

rainbowgardener
Super Green Thumb

"This might be an example of a very rare growing year. I have a feeling next spring/summer is going to be extremely damp, since winter/spr/summ. around here have been very dry. All in an effort for mother nature to balance herself out."

That would have been true in the past. Mother Nature is having a very difficult time balancing herself out, given what human beings are doing to mess everything up. Many places in our country and elsewhere, drought years are now following one after the other. My sister lives in Albuquerque, New Mexico. They used to reliably have a monsoon season there, now the monsoons just don't come any more and they've had about ten years of drought.

We are back in drought here in southern Ohio, with wildfire warnings! (Ohio never used to be dry enough in the summer to worry about wildfires.) Last year was not a drought year, but it seems like about 4 of the last 6 have been.
Twitter account I manage for local Sierra Club: https://twitter.com/CherokeeGroupSC Facebook page I manage for them: https://www.facebook.com/groups/65310596576/ Come and find me and lots of great information, inspiration

dtlove129

I saw on the news last night that we are 10.30 inches behind this year and 22% of the farmer's corn is consider poor in IL.
John
2nd year gardner

gixxerific
Super Green Thumb

dtlove129 wrote:I saw on the news last night that we are 10.30 inches behind this year and 22% of the farmer's corn is consider poor in IL.
I'm not that far from you being west of St Louis. I feel you on the drought. It is so dry here even with constant watering. I can't keep up. I am sad for the farmers, it is getting ugly for them. I live in the middle of corn/bean feilds as far as the eye can see. So far it is still going but they are getting nervous, even trying to get help from the Gov.

I am praying for rain for the both of us. We need it badly.

Happy gardening, and may your garden be completly flooded with rain. Trust me it will soak in very fast. :lol:

Dono

dtlove129

Right there with you. I do this mostly for fun not a living like the farmers plus I can water mine. I feel for the farmers!
John
2nd year gardner

dtlove129

Right there with you. I do this mostly for fun not a living like the farmers plus I can water mine. I feel for the farmers!
John
2nd year gardner

Return to “Vegetable Gardening Forum”