jal_ut
Super Green Thumb

Re: Garden mishaps!

I went out and got on the big tractor tiller and went to tilling, when my son comes out waving, and says, "Hey, that is where you planted the garlic!"
Gardening at 5000 feet elevation, zone 4/5 Northern Utah, Frost free from May 25 to September 8 +/-

applestar
Mod

Wow, hopefully your tiller doesn’t chop things up too fine and hasn’t shoved those poor garlic cloves down too deep and they will still grow? I HAVE noticed that if they end up on their sides or even upside-down, they will still grow but the effort to grow upward will deform the bulb and cloves won’t form evenly.
Learning never ends because we can share what we've learned. And in sharing our collective experiences, we gain deeper understanding of what we learned.

Gary350
Super Green Thumb

jal_ut wrote:I went out and got on the big tractor tiller and went to tilling, when my son comes out waving, and says, "Hey, that is where you planted the garlic!"
That is why I started marking my rows my brain is on auto delete these days. If I plant something that is slow to germinate I cannot remember what is plated there and if I actually planted it or was I just thinking about planting it. Once plants start coming up then I recognize the plants and don't need markers.

Myacre
Newly Registered

This year I made new beds for tomatoes, and decided to do wire fence for support. I bought these metal sticks with hooks and holes for barbwire, put two on each side of bed, put wire in between them and was done. even managed to tie a few plants that reached the bottom wire. So, last night there was hail in the forecast. Me and my hubby were jumping all over the garden putting tarp on top of those sticks thinking we're so smart, saving tomatoes this way. Hail never came, but the rain was pretty heavy. two hours later we had to repeat the exercises this time taking the tarp out. rain water pooled over our plants and bent all those schmetal sticks. Thankfully, none of the plants got damaged, but my support system looks like broken guitar with bent sticks and wire going crazy without proper tension. Yeah, also got very refreshing shower and mud up to my knees. Gotta love Texas

Return to “Vegetable Gardening Forum”