joed2323

potato beetles

how do I beat these annoying bugs?

Ive been plucking them off my potato plants and killing everyone one by one. ive tried to get the orange eggs off the underneath of the leaves but they keep coming back. What can I do for this problem? just use seven?

I havent used any chemicals other then fertilizer in my garden, didnt really want to spray bug killer on my plants but if thats what works I will use it, please guide me to the right way to exterminate these pests....

luvthesnapper

Neem oil can do it. It'll take some time, but they'll die off. Diatomaceous earth should help also.

madonnaswimmer

someone just responded to my potato question stating he bought some ladybugs at the local nursery (you can get them online, too), and that took care of the problem.

rainbowgardener
Super Green Thumb

Yeah, here's a nice story about that, concluding:

It turns out that ladybugs are sold as a natural predator for, among other things, Colorado Potato Beetles. They eat the eggs

Read more: https://www.grit.com/a-long-time-coming/potato-beetles.aspx#ixzz1yUIyVmlD

SPierce
Greener Thumb

I squash the hell out of the adults every time I see them :twisted: :twisted: . They killed my potatoes last year WAY too early, and just saw a pair mating this morning- I go out every evening and every morning to keep an eye out and see if I can find any

joed2323

Guess I will just keep squishing them... I seen baby beetles and I was freakin

mscratch

call me sadistic..I take a small empty vegetable can and put some gas in it and plop them right on in with the leaves that have eggs on them..no more squishing for me!

Return to “Vegetable Gardening Forum”